Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

getting permission to hunt

Old 02-12-2007, 09:27 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: getting permission to hunt

Well I have asked for permission for years and this is how I go about it.

1. I get a platt map of an area I would like to hunt to see who owns the land.
2. I research and try to get addresses. All you need is one place to start.
3. We send letters (see below - it was from a scouting trip)
4. If we have time we drive to check out the land and look for turkeys.

In the letter

We include who we are.
We include that it is a privledge to hunt there and it is not a 'yearly' given thing. We ask for permission each and every year and that is whythe persmission slip is dated.
These permission slips do help as we have been challenged from others. Easy to pull out a slip and then a copy of the platt map. Shows ther person right where we have been granted to hunt. Stops all arguments.
We do try to give the landowner something. Some has been actual work on their land and others it is company product I can get very cheaply or some of my city's finest danish kringle! We do not pay tresspass fees so far!
We also ask the land onwer if they would like to meet us. Face to face is best as then they know who they are dealing with.
If told NO - I do send athank you letter stating I appreciate your return letter.
Again we stress that hunting is a privledge and NOT a right!
We treat all land with great respect. If we see anything out of the ordinary we tell them. And the landowner is a great resource as they can tell you where they have seen birds! Trust them.

Now for a return letter we start looking at surrounding property and ask the person if we could use them for a reference.

Been doing this over 20 years and has worked great! Most landowners I now call via phone and do my AT&T turkey scouting. Saves me a trip.

JW

Below is my letter
Dear Mr. or Mrs. Name hereMonday, April 04, 2005

[I found this guys phone number by using the paltt and calling his brother.]

[WE SAW 4 BIG TOMS FIGHT]

It sure was a pleasure talking to you on the phone. I really want to thank you for the privilege to use your land to hunt turkeys this year. As I said, witnessing that all out 4 Big Ole Tom Brawl for hen dominance was really something to see!

Again - I am 55 years old, married for over 30 years, blessed with two girls, one who is married and one who is in college. And I am a Grandpa as of March 20th! J I have one daughter who hunts and one that does not – it is their choice!
I am a certified state of Wisconsin Hunter Education Instructor, also Wisconsin Master Level High School volleyball referee, and stay active trying to help kids of all ages. As you know, I am an avid turkey hunter as well as my partner Jim Yonker. I also train pointing dogs for myself and do judge dogs for a pointing dog organization. I just love to hunt birds. I worked my way up through the company I work for and am now a Sr. Research Scientist – I work on the Raid brand of products at Johnson Wax. My father –name was born in Stanwood, MI and my Great-Grandfather’s farm is now a county park – aka Brower County Park. Along US 131.
Jim is from Holland MI., while I was born in Racine, WI. Jim taught me turkey hunting almost 18 years ago.

Jim Yonker is married, has a son and daughter, one in high school and the other in college. He also is an avid turkey hunter.

Again why I called was to seek permission to hunt - we are not trespassers no matter how good it looks. We are hunters who live by principles, respect the land we are privileged to hunt on and always ask for written permission each & every[/b] time we hunt! After all in today’s light, hunting is a privilege[/i] and not a right! Same thing I teach to my students.

Our season is Monday April 18 to Sunday April 25.
I drive a Ford F150 Pickup extended cab all black in color, WI License.. XXXXXX
Jim has a silver-blue Century 4 door car. WI License .. XXXXXX
We do not drive on fields. We do not hunt near buildings. Not only is that unsafe – it is unethical!

We will be scouting the 2 days before season, starting the morning on Saturday April 16 to pattern birds. I hope the several we saw on your farm are still there! But we will find out.

I have included a self-stamped addressed envelope for your convenience with the permission slip. I also informed you we give consumer products from the company we work for to landowners.
I would like to know if there is a hiding place by one of your outbuildings we could leave it. It will have a variety of product to include Zip-Loc bags and containers, Glade air freshener, Off repellent, Glade candles, Windex glass cleaner - what ever I can buy from the company store. If you don’t like it please give it away. It is our way of thanking you and our way of thanking our company as if you like the product you may just buy it! So we all win.

I have included a stamped-self addressed envelope for your return written reply. [contains the permission slip as we only will take written permission - some states it is the law!]

Thanks ever so much!
[I do sign my name]

Name, address, phone & cellnumber, color of truck and year and make, truck license plates and e-mail put here

Partner’s Bio I put below

[/align]

I give Dave and Jim permission to hunt turkeys on my property, April 18-24, 2005.

Place I would like to leave the product?

Old 02-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Well, it's a good gesture and friendly thing to do especially if you're a hunter yourself, but if you give permission to hunt on your property and somethinghappens to them on your property, you are liable for damages.

Guys, everything has to be in writing! Enter At Your Own Risk........And Signed By Them AfterSecuring theirIdentification. Another risky task, if you chargeto hunt your property, you better have a good HuntersInsurance Policy enforced.

As long as the landowner does not charge a fee his liability is small,he is protected by law.
Unless there's not a Huntingdeath involved.

This however would not stop a shrewd lawyer from tying you up in court.
You got that right!! I'm a property owner in FL and have been for 40yrs,been thereand done that!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Dominant Buck

For Property Owners

I, Andy Rooney

grant Dave and Jim permission to hunt turkeys on my property at their own risk and do not hold property owner liable for any accidents while on said property, fromApril 18 to24 only, 2005. Grantees will be held Liable for any property damages and or fires started while on said property.

Said persons have beenIdentified as Dave Crockett and Jim Bowie.

Drivers License # G 620-118-0000 & G 810-0017

Old 02-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

wow, I didnt think I was gonna get such a response! thanks to everyone so far. I have asked one farmer to predator hunt and he just said no, and that was the end of his conversation. I said thanks for his time and went on my way. I have a few more farms in the area that I am going to ask for turkey hunting. Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:39 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Davey Crocket here - hey thanks Rebel Hog - that was sure nice of ya!

Yes I did wear a coonskin cap as a kid and did watch Davey Crockett on the newly invented TV

Did I date myself!

JW
Old 02-12-2007, 01:42 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey good if they say 'No' thank them for their time and be on your way.

keep knocking all of them will not say NO - tho I did get bloody knuckles.....

it is how you present yourself - selling your soul - that they will remember!

We practice asking for permission in each of the Hunter Educations courses I teach.

Oh and what I preach - I practice!

JW
Old 02-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice letter example JW!....very nice indeed. That covers everything!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:31 AM

I have found to try and find land through friends, relatives, and such. In our state you have to have a written permission slip from the landowner. You have to keep this with you at all times. For the most part I will try and meet the landowner and talk to them. I don't wear camo or stuff like that. I want to give them a regular look. don't be pushy and ask politely after you've talked to them. I have some friends in Missourri that I have known a long time. if they have anything to do around the place I offer to help. Just be freindly and polite. This will open more doors than anything. Gbl4Me...
Old 02-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

I belive in the network concept, you should have an in of some sort ,if you dont you got your work cut out for ya. my haunts usally have come to light after coffee, dinner, a movie, doing a free favor or a helping hand doing somthing the land owner doesnt want to do. this usally under the right surcumstance will open more land than you will have time to hunt.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ask about hunting groundhogs. Prove yourself safe and reliable. It will help to get the nod to hunt deer and turkey. This has worked for me many times. Plus, I love to groundhog hunt.