Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Calling cadence

Old 02-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Calling cadence

Hey guys, can anyone recommend some instructional materials for better learning the proper cadence when calling. I'm new to this game, and my calls, both diaphragm and slate sound pretty good, I just need to work in the right rhythm now. Any ideas? Hunting show? CDs?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Calling cadence

Not sure what to tell ya about CD's but there is a product on the market from Primo's called ( MTAMouth Call's Made Easy ) it comes with a instructional CD.
As for the right rhythm your looking for , hen yelps are normally in a set of three ( yelp yelp yelp ) , clucks are any where from one to five depending on how excited the hen is.
Tree yelps and fly down cackles sound like ( yelp yelp chuck chuck chuck chuckchuck chuck chuck ) with the sound of wings flapping.
Cutt's vary in cadence and rhythm , they can sound like ( peck peck peck ) or ( peck peckpeckpeck peck peck )like a barnyard chicken.
Just keep practicing and you'll know what sounds good when the boss tom gobbles back at you.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Typical Buck

I have found over the years that the best teacher for calling turkey's is turkeys. I go to the woods and listen to real turkeys in the past I have recorded them using a boom mic.. Listening to the real thing and the number of times they yelp is want I started with and will use this year on my son who will turn 8. If you can not get out a lot to do this go to www.hunterspec.com they have some cd's and dvd's that will help you.
Good Hunting.[8D]
Old 02-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you very much RD & RJ. That alone will help. When I've been practicing, I've just been trying to get the best sound, not really working on sequence. I have the primos CD, it came with my calls, and that has helped me as well. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your welcome Yooper
Glad to help in any way , when it comes to turkey hunting.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yooper,I've said this many times before.When you call,PUT FEELING IN YOUR CALL. Turkeys don't always call pretty but they do call with emotion.This is extremly important when callin high pressured birds.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

I use the Spittin' Feathers CD from Knight & Hale. I use it in my truck to brush up on my calling before the season.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:19 PM

http://www.lovettwilliams.com/

Kinda tough to get a real hen to stick with you as you practice around the house.Here ya go
Old 02-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

A guy I know by the name of Brad Taylor has some awesome cds of real turkeys. Most of the top contest callers listen to his stuff to get the rythms and cadence right before they call. Cant go wrong with real turkeys teaching you.
www.treetopturkeys.com
Old 02-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy some turkey hunting CDs. Then you can enjoy the hunt and learn cadence.

Quick Reply: Calling cadence

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.