Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hardest Species to hunt?

Old 02-10-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Hardest Species to hunt?

I know that all turkeys are relatively the same, but I am from MO and all i have hunted are Easterns. I was wondering what species was the hardest to hunt as far as terrain and other variables that may make a certain bird tougher to kill?
Old 02-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hardest Species to hunt?

sucessfully and consistantly taking Pennsylvania easterns on state game lands.....thatll make a turkey hunter out of anyone. turkey huntings getting more popular than deer hunting i think!!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I know that all turkeys are relatively the same, but I am from MO and all i have hunted are Easterns. I was wondering what species was the hardest to hunt as far as terrain and other variables that may make a certain bird tougher to kill?
I would have to say, the Osceola!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm going to agree with Reb because not only the terrain but the availability etc...

Old 02-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Although I only hunted Eastern's , I would say of all the subspecies the Gould's and Rio Grands would be hard to hunt.
Reason being , you would have to go to Mexico for the Goulds and the Rio Grands really don't populate that much of an area geographicaly speaking.
On the other hand The Osceola in Florida whould be a challenge for any hunter in hopes of a Grand Slam.
As for the Merriam's in the Mid West , I've been told that it's easy to hunt them ... I maybe wrong about that thou.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it all depends on the particular birds your hunting. You will encounter some birds that will run to your call and some the will run away, it doesnt matter which species you hunt. And some of them live at the top of mountains and other in the middle of a swamp. Pick your poison.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to say easterns Gobblers just for the pressure factor
Old 02-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I'd have to say easterns Gobblers just for the pressure factor
LB, this is why I said Oseolas and FL is alot larger than many Eastern States. We have our thousands of turkey hunters and all ofthe out of state Slam hunters. Plus the Oseola is smaller than the other Species and our woods are covered with Palmettos which makes it difficult.

.Eastern Subspecies: 5.1 to 5.3 million wild turkeys [*]Osceola (Florida) Subspecies: 80,000 to 100,000 wild turkeys[*]Rio Grande Subspecies: 1,022,700 to 1,025,700 wild turkeys[*]Merriam's Subspecies: 334,460 to 344,460 wild turkeys
Old 02-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

I would have to say the Easterens this is what the studies show at least.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted many states and all of subspecies for turkeys. By far the toughest bird I hunted were easterns in PA. I think its because of all the hunting pressure. So to answer your question... Its the 5th subspecie in the US. I call him the pressured gobbler!

Quick Reply: Hardest Species to hunt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.