Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hardest Species to hunt?

Old 02-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hardest Species to hunt?

I've hunted for all 3 except the Rio. (this year) I'm a Florida native and from Homestead originally, now in Sebring. I am going to say a TRUE Osceola. By "true", I mean an Osceola that comes from it's true terrain, the swampy areas. I know that NWTF has them well into the northern part of the state, but they are different birds. These birds down in the glades are tough and not because of their #'s or the lack of good public places to hunt them, or pressure, but because they are damn smart! Are there any other turkeys that will freely roam thru 1' 1/2 of water all day?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: strutnbuck

I've hunted for all 3 except the Rio. (this year) I'm a Florida native and from Homestead originally, now in Sebring. I am going to say a TRUE Osceola. By "true", I mean an Osceola that comes from it's true terrain, the swampy areas.
I'mfrom the Keys originally, then Tampa and now Lutz. Strutnbuck, I have hunted Big Cypress many years, Green Swamp many yearsand the area that Adrian Hare visits when in FL.. I have been doing it 55 minus 8 for military=47yrs, every year! The day they find me layingmotionless in the FL woods, I'll have my shotgun in one hand and an Osceola in the other.

I totally agree with you..
Old 02-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted a taken turkeys in 7 states. Including Easterns, Rios and Osceloas.

From my experience, the easterns in the lowcountry of SC are about as hard as they come. Still a lot of trash around from Hurricane Hugo, and enough pressure to boot. Lots to hang up on.

Only good thing is the season opens March 15th...so its the first to open! Good way to start the season!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:57 PM

I've only hunted eastern's and i know that their tough, but i've also read that the eastern's are the hardest.....a lot less vocal. But I guess I can't say due to the fact that eastern's is all I've hunted.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I been thinkin bout this.Like I said I've only hunted easterns but I've been chasin them buggers for37 yrs now,so I've seen a few things.I've had birds not make a peep and the very next day have them come runnin in in the very same spot.Guess what I'm tryin to say is,It don't matter how experienced you are,what species you're huntin or what call you're usin.If the bird is in the mood it can be very very easy.If he isn't in the mood it can be very,very frustratin.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:54 PM

Easterns in big woods. Farm land easterns are very easy but get the same bird in big woods with no fields around and he is very hard to kill.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drhntr178

I believe it all depends on the particular birds your hunting. You will encounter some birds that will run to your call and some the will run away, it doesnt matter which species you hunt. And some of them live at the top of mountains and other in the middle of a swamp. Pick your poison.
Ditto!!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

That my friend would be the 2-3 year old Easterns here in PA. Many of them will have 3 diff. shot size in them when and if you kill one.