Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ever been spured

Old 02-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ever been spured

I shot one turkey that had 1.25" hooked curved sharp!!! spurs and when I bent over to grab him up, his spur went threw my glove and stuck in my hand... With the sprur beening stuck in my glove I had a heck of a time getting it out of my hand. For some crazy reason I didn't feel any pain
Old 02-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ever been spured

I had the very same experience back in 1993. Except that it hurt like a mother for two weeks!!
I think it sunk in at least a 1/2" into the web of my right hand, clean through my glove as well!!

Old 02-09-2007, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

i remember someone had pics on here a while back..maybe a couple years now..but i think they needed stitched up. then big ole longbeards can be dangerous. dad taught me to leave the gun and vest at the tree and get to the bird as fast as possible and straddle it and keep the feet and wings under control. had to do it with my first bird. still dont know if any BBs hit that thing. every time i think about it i know my bead was a good foot infront of him..but he went down and made it 15yds or so before i got to him...but he went home with me! its almost instinct to grab their feet though for some reason...
Old 02-09-2007, 06:16 AM
Spike

Been stabbed quiet a few times by a big ole long spurred gobbler. The gloves i've got now have about 4 different holes in them from grabbing 'em up. I've had to throw a few of them back down and let them quit flopping.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

A friend of mine got spured real bad in the wrist , had to do emergencey first aid on him cause he was bleeding really bad.
The spur hit a vein and the blood was just gushing out , he ended up going to the hospital for teatment.
I learned from that point on to grab the bird by the neck and give it a good twist or jerk to break it and make sure the bird is dead.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have say that luckily I haven't been spurred...and hopefully, based on the comments I have read thus far, I won't ever be
Old 02-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

i never killed one before but that worries me.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just shoot jakes and young ones and problem solved! [8D][8D]

I'M JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!

For some reason, I always have grabbed 'em by the neck or head first and twisted it. Gives me a good reason to continue in that manner!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, I wait til my bird is dead before grabbing him. If he is flopping I just wait til he stops. Those spurs can be aweful sharp.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:48 AM

Just last year I had one come back to life when I grabbed him and he hooked my thumb pretty good. Just lkie you stated mine went through my glove and then actually twisted around where I could'nt get the darn thing off.

Anyway, I will be a little more careful from here out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.