Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Scope for Shotgun

Old 03-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Spike

Default RE: Scope for Shotgun

I had a scope on my 870 for 13 years but replaced it after last season after I got a nasty gash from it while shooting from my blind. Bad form and cramped quarters = a trip to the emergency room! I've got an Aimpoint 9000SC on it now and it gives me a bunch more eye relief for awkward shots. I sighted it in a couple days ago and I'm going to really like it. It's a tough, well made sight. Whatever type of optical sight you put on your turkey thumper, remember to get one with the best possible eye relief, cause sooner or later, you're gonna need it! Those 3" and 3 1/2" 12 ga. turkey loads have the recoil of an elephant rifle. Believe me, I didn't think it would ever happen to me with all the shooting I've done, but during the heat of the moment,thingshappen. Now,I've now got the scars to prove it. Quite a humbling experience for sure!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Red Dot/Green Dot are definately tthe way to go since they are legal in just about every state for turkeys, most states have laws agains maginified scopes during turkey season. Please check your local and federal turkey regulations, remember turkeys are federal game birds meaning you must obide the federal and state laws. But to be honest, the Red Dot Scopes are an exceleent choice, I own two of them.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Red Dot/Green Dot are definately tthe way to go since they are legal in just about every state for turkeys, most states have laws agains maginified scopes during turkey season. Please check your local and federal turkey regulations, remember turkeys are federal game birds meaning you must obide the federal and state laws. But to be honest, the Red Dot Scopes are an exceleent choice, I own two of them.

I never heard turkeys were federal game birds or that magnified scopes were illegal???