Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New to Turkey Hunting

Old 02-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New to Turkey Hunting

im what i would call a beginner hunter even though i have hunted deer and squirrels for 6 years. of those 5 years i have shot only 2 deer so i dont consider myself a good hunter YET.but i want to go into turkey hunting, i have gone b4 with a friend who called and called but no luck. i no that with turkey hunting,like deer hunting, you have to be quiet and very knowelable of ur animal. i am wanting to start turkey hunting by myself, so i have alot of questions.
1.what calls are better for sertain types of season
2.where is the "area" that turkey tend to stay(ie. open,wooded,corn,bean field)
i have seen as many as 80 turkey in an open field out of season but cant seem to locate them during season.thanks for any help that you all reply with.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New to Turkey Hunting

Ok .... you got some time to do some reading so get some books and turkey magazines and get cracking.
One book that I found very useful is called ( Wild Turkey ) from the complete hunter series it's a hard back but thin book that gives expert advice.
This book also tells you everything you need to know from their habitat to hunting techniques , you can buy this book at any sporting good store or where they sell sporting goods.
Get this book and read it cover to cover , you'll be glad yo did.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

Ok .... you got some time to do some reading so get some books and turkey magazines and get cracking.
One book that I found very useful is called ( Wild Turkey ) from the complete hunter series it's a hard back but thin book that gives expert advice.
This book also tells you everything you need to know from their habitat to hunting techniques , you can buy this book at any sporting good store or where they sell sporting goods.
Get this book and read it cover to cover , you'll be glad yo did.
Good advice RD! I would also join the NWTF and join a Local Chapter where you can really learn from Turkey Hunters in your area.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your right about that Rebel Hog , The National Wild Turkey Federation is a great organization and I'm proud to be a member.
They have a web site where you can click on a link and listen to diffrent turkey calls so you can try to mimick the sounds.
Here's a direct link to that page from there web site ( http://www.nwtf.org/calling_tips.html ) make sure your speakers are on and turn them up.