Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

first turkey

Old 02-08-2007, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first turkey

I got my first bird (or should I say birds) the first time I went out. I was doing some basic light calling in the fall, and I had a group of about 25 to 30 hens come with in 15 yards of me. I was so excited...I didn't know which one to shoot, so being my first time, I picked the closest one and pulled the trigger....two more fell down behind the one that I shot. I got three hens in one shot! Needless to say, we eat turkey for a while....
Old 02-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

This is my girlfriend, Ive been takeing her hunting with me for the last couple years and was realy surprised that she showed such interest in it. She definitly has the patience for it and is a pretty good shot under presure. I would like to see more ladys get into the outdoor life style, it makes it a little more interesting.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

it was my 5th season when i killed my first. cant say i couldnt killed one the previous 4 years. never fired a shot. first day hunting in my life dad put 3 jakes on my lap. i never fired. just never got what i thought was the perfect shot. then my 5th year i went out alone for the first time ever and came home with a longbeard. first time ever hunting alone. i realized the TV shots are few and far between..your shooting a shotgun with a ton of BBs in it and i know mine patterns well. i now learned you gotta shoot to kill em. my gun patterns well and i learned what to do to kill em...put the bead on em and take the shot when its presented. havent missed a spring bird or lost any or anything..i dont take bad shots..just learned that alot of shots i passed on are good shots to take..
Old 02-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I killed my first WILD Turkey on my 3rd springAnd I'll never forget my first
Old 02-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

I got my first turkey on only my second turkey hunt ever.

Its probably going to be one of the bigger birds Im going to take too.

10" beard, 1" spurs, 22#
Old 02-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

First day out in the fall,I shot a jake on the fly and got him. First time out alone,spring 1985 or 86(I had been out once or twice with a friend, no luck)with a new box call, called a jake and got him.A fewyears later with a client from Minnesota, I got the nice 26 pounder that is shown on my website. www.hiddenvalleyhuntingllc.com Actually, I wasn't going to hunt that morning, just call for the client, but he said bring your shot gun and hunt with me.So we set up in different spots and I got lucky. Also lucky was that he was a good photographer with a nice camera, and, I went to Duluth and killed a350 pound bear with him.I've killed many big birds since, but I'm not one to take a lot of pics. There are some pics of my daughter and her kills, which weighed in the mid twenties, 22-24 pounds. This year I'm taking pics of everything to put on my website.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

took me 2 years of hunting religously, like 4 days a week during season, then it happened opening morning of my 3rd yr., i wasnt going to give up, but it definately took it's toll on me......now i have been taking 1-2 every year since.....Thank God.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you broke the code on them Fl Longbeards
Old 02-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

WTG I hope you can capitalize again this year. Good Luck
Old 02-09-2007, 11:22 PM

It took me 9 years to get my first bird. When I was 12, I went a few times with my Poppop. I was a decent caller, but it just never seemed to work out (birds hung up, etc). When he got sick and passed, I took a bit of a hiatus and just never went again. I occassionally messed around with my calls though. Last year, I remembered just how much fun I had that one year, and how much Poppop loved turkey hunting. I practiced, did my homework, remembered as much as I could of what I was taught. Last spring I hunted hard and was rewarded with my first bird. 18.5 lbs, 10" beard, 1" spurs. I'm hooked now...
-- B

Quick Reply: first turkey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.