Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I hate decoys!!

Old 02-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I hate decoys!!

Over the years I've been burned many times using them and most birds I've taken have been without decoys. I find I have to be more crafty to get the gun up but just like hunting without them more so. Plus I often hunt later in the season in MN and WI and the birds tend to be decoy shy. Guess I'm more of a run n gun type too...
Old 02-08-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't hate 'em, because they're worked well for me a number of times. However, I've had a number of opportunities blown by them in recent years. Last year, on opening day, a small group of 5 or 6 deer spooked from a decoy that has worked many times for me and later two gobblers eyed it suspiciously from 100 yards out and refused to come to it. I did go from carrying a small flock of decoys with me to just one hen.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can't rely on decoys everytime. There are times to use them and times to not...They seem to work for me really well when I am in an open field where they can be seen for hundreds of yards.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:45 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey the foam decoys make a great back cushion for me in my turkey vest.......in fact the foam decoys are better suited back there than out if in front of me!

hehe

We all know that if yo are sitting comfortable you can sit still a long long time!

JW
Old 02-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

They make pretty good pillows too. Try that with a Hazel Creek.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed all myGobbler over a decoy...

Old 02-08-2007, 07:50 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I think they help my hunt more then not. I've had toms just come running as fast as they can to get to the jake. One thing it does is keep the eyes on that decoy and not on you. I wouldn't hunt with out one. I never hunt with the decoy set up so they come straight at you I'm always off to the side in all my set ups.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:39 PM

I love to call em in, I love to lure them in to the decoy, and just love plain old ambush or running and gunning. I mix it up a lot depending on the mood of the bird.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

when i run and gun, i bring my bobble head with me if possible, there has been a couple of times i had to leave her and then go back, luckily i know the woods i hunt very well, lol......if not i would never find her...
Old 02-10-2007, 02:15 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I always use them and had good luck. I've had toms just come running to the decoy without even sounding a call. I wouldn't be without them.

Quick Reply: I hate decoys!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.