Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Purr on a Diaphram call - HELP

Old 02-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Purr on a Diaphram call - HELP

Save yourself a lot of trouble and just do it on a slate. Sound more realistic anyway. I can do it but I am a whisker away from squeaking with the diaphram so I don't do it very often.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Purring with a mouth call is the second hardest call to master (second to the gobble).

Instead of doing the R-R-R-R-R sound, (and I'm doing it with no call in my mouth right now), do a Whd-d-d-d-dsound. You'll have to sorta cup the back of your tongue, because the rolling "R" sound pushes the call too hard into the roof of your mouth.
i had never been able do the purr until this year. i just tried to make the sound and finally found a way to do it. even though i don't know how to explain it quiksilvers explaination sounds about right.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I drool like a son of a buck when I purr also. I kind of use the gargle method. My fighting purr is real good, I have a hard time toning it down though to just make a normal purr.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

I purr with my tongue in calling contests and it scores well. Best to do a motor boat sound with the tongue against the roof of the mouth. After that is mastered, try it w/a diaphram. Then "throw" the sound into the side ofa "soft"cheek to soften and modulate it... hard to explain, but it works on turks too. Still, I prefer to do the slate when I am calling a bird for a partner...
-fsh
Old 02-03-2007, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Lots of good advice so far but practice practice pratice. I'm like a few of the guys on the site here, I tried for a few years and then one day it just happened.

ALl the talk about where the call should be (in your mouth) and using the toungue versus fluttering lips versus garggle etc. is important BUT have the right TYPE of call to begin with is also quite helpful. Now I'm not talking any particular call in general but there are certainly styles that allow you to purr better than others (I think anyone would agree with that one).

I get my best purring out of either a ghost cut or a center V-cut with 3-4 reeeds and that last reed being rather thin.

My best purring calls to date;

Woodhaven's Ghost cut (they change the name but I think it used to be called Ghost Cutter)
TalkingStick Game Calls (either thier Blackbeard four Reed or the Orange Frame with Green reed call (forget what the name is)

Just remember, the caveat with mouth calls, what works for me might not work for you.

Good luck and keep on practicing!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the call. Some will use the gargling technique and others will flutter the tongue. Either way will take a lot of practice.
I flutter the tongue over the reeds. Tongue pressure is light and my mouth and lips are very soft. Tongue is positioned on the call a little farther out than a yelp. Remember, as always with a mouth call, to push the air over the reeds by exhaling the air from the lungs. Move your tongue in and out to find the spot for you. Slowing down the flutter will give you a softer purr while a faster flutter will sound more like a fighting purr.
It took me years to get it right.