Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

strutting

Old 01-28-2007, 03:08 PM

Default strutting

i found there roosting tree and there is a old road to the left and a ridge behind them. what is the best strutting zone and i found dusting bowl yesterday that enters into a semi open woodlot with a good trail in the middle about 4 feet wide. the dusting bowls are 200 yrds from the roosting tree. when do they dust. and what is the best strutting zone?
Old 01-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: strutting

Tad early to be looking for strutt zones
Old 01-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

This is true.
Depending on where you live, in about a month will be a good time to start listen' for them gobbles!

Good luck!

Hens dust at all times of the day....
Old 01-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

They have already started some strutting and early morning gobbling where I live in Oregon ,I believe a lot depends on your weather as to when they start . A few days of sunshine makes a lot of difference .
Old 01-29-2007, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

saw my first strutter yesterday........it wont be long now.....
Old 01-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on where your located, it may be a little early for strut zones. Toms like wide open fields to strut in so they can be easily noticed. When it is early like this, I look for field tops and open fields, make a note of them, then check them closer when the season gets a little closer. Even though you may find one strutting here and there, it don't compare to what it will be like in a month or two when just about every field has a strutting Tom.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: zubba

Depending on where your located, it may be a little early for strut zones. Toms like wide open fields to strut in so they can be easily noticed. When it is early like this, I look for field tops and open fields, make a note of them, then check them closer when the season gets a little closer. Even though you may find one strutting here and there, it don't compare to what it will be like in a month or two when just about every field has a strutting Tom.
Not necesarily true in some case's , last spring I was set up on hill top meadow waitng and calling.
When I saw a big boss tom standing on top of a dead fall tree in a well wooded area just 120 yards below the hill.
There was trees all around this gobbler but yet he went into full strut and I noticed he had five hen's in front of him.
In most case's a boss gobbler will pick a ridge top or a clear meadow and even the edge of a field.