Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Scratch Box

Old 01-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scratch Box

Looking for a good Scrarch Box call... I've had a super yelper but broke it last spring Those calls are so fragile!!!

Anyhow I was thinking about getting another... Any suggestions???
Old 01-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scratch Box

I got me an L&L scratch box, that I use. dog1 sent me one that he made I am going to try it out this year.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

dog1 made and sent me a really nice scratch call. problem is for me I have never used one. any pointers on how to purr with it. I can get a cluck easy, yelp so-so. I am still playing with it. the clucks on it are really realistic. thanks dog1. I intend to use it this spring.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hold you striker a little higher than you would a pencil and Lean it a little. Push it directly away from the lean. (If you're right handed, the lean will naturally be to the right, so push the striker across the surface to the left.) Adjust the pressure so that the tip skips across the surface. Vary the pressure and your grip. Play with it a little and work it into a bit of an arch pattern. You'll be purring in no time!
Old 01-27-2007, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: barefoot

Hold you striker a little higher than you would a pencil and Lean it a little. Push it directly away from the lean. (If you're right handed, the lean will naturally be to the right, so push the striker across the surface to the left.) Adjust the pressure so that the tip skips across the surface. Vary the pressure and your grip. Play with it a little and work it into a bit of an arch pattern. You'll be purring in no time!
Sounds like your talking about a slate pot call... Were talking about a scratch box call[:-]

For yelping and purring I very the pressure(howtight I hold thebox)on the scratch box and the pressure on the striker

Also you can play with the angle that you hold the striker
Old 01-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is what we've always called a scratch box around here:

Are you talking about something like this...

If so, then sorry. Sometimes local dialect can make for interesting conversation.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

arkansasbowhunter,

Like barefoot and Mr L.said. Be sure and chalk both the striker and the call. Hold the call on the ends, not in the center, that would muffle any sound. Try both sides of the striker, each side will produce a slightly different sound from the call. I hold the call between my thumb and first or middle finger in my left hand and the striker is held the same in my right hand (reverse if left handed). The angle and force you use on the striker will produce and change the sound of the call.

Good Luck and Good Hunting
dog1