Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

can you answer my question

Old 01-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: can you answer my question

All the guys have gave you some good advice and learning skills to understand most of the calls as well as explain the Boss hen call.

Just so you understand properly and I believe most of the guys tried to explain it, but I'll give you my way.

The Boss Hen call - There is no call really called this, However !

A dominate hen that is normally called the Bosshen in the harom of birds tends to stand out from the rest of the flock.

This hen will be far more aggressive, and louder and the cadence will be faster,then any of the other hens in the flock. At times their rythem is fast and the tone can be raspy and others it can also change to more of a clear tone when they settle. The terms is more of an answering call or reply for a bird other then a call itself...
Old 01-25-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JW!

REbel hog gave yo some great tips on sounds and I suggest to purchase some Lovett Williams wild turkey talk tapes or CDs. I have been hunting over 20 years and right before turkey season I pop in my Cds to bone up and get in tune with Wild turkey talk......

And a tip for you......If the boss hen starts to catawal and call back to your calls mimic her note for note - yelp for yelp and cluck for cluck. If she stop talking you stop - but if she starts calling again start right in on her but be a bit more louder and bit more urgent......about the third time doing this her tone will really change as she will be fighting mad and come look for you quickly.....at that time get your gun up because Mr. Tom will follow.

I have killed more birds doing this lately than anything else.

JW
Good advice. I normally try to mimic the hens I hear.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The cluck is a more contented sound. You might could call it a searching sound. You could easily hear this with leaf scratching and purrs and maybe a yelp or two.

The putt is more urgent. Often in rapin succession. That's about the only sound you'll hear besides retreating footsteps--and definitely the LAST sound you'll hear out of that bird!

Clear as mud now? Believe me, you'll know a putt when you hear it.