Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Choke suggestions please!

Old 01-15-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Choke suggestions please!

Hey guys, I'm about to purchase the Remington Model 870 SPS-T Super Magnum Camo for turkey hunting. Anyways, after doing some research I discovered that alot of people think the stock choke that comes with the gun is crap. And if anyone is wondering the choke that comes with the shotgun is Remington’s Turkey Super Full choke tube.

Anyways, I'm looking for recommendations for the best choke out there, cost is not a problem. I want the best. Also, what ammo do you think goes well with the choke you suggest?

Thank you
Old 01-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choke suggestions please!

There is no easy answer,buy several different boxes of shells and try them out with the stock choke. If it performs well,ain't broke then don't fix it. I use an undertaker choke on a Mossberg 500 field grade gun and it works well with Winchester Supreme and Federal Flight Control. However it will only use lead,a fancy more expensive choke may allow you to use some form of "heavy shot". It's not recommended for my gun. If it is for yours this shot is denser than lead giving it more '
"punch" at thge point of impact.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

If money is no object try Nitro Ammo and the Rhino choke
Old 01-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ultimag has it right...thats supposed to be the best combo out there in ALOT of guns. ive never heard ANYONE complain about it...except cost..thats REALLY if money is no object.

i myself didnt wanna spend that kinda cash. i too have a remington 870 12 870 express mag turkey gun. came with the extended super full or extra full choke(i cant recall) it shot alright..but not good enough for me. i just wanted density..not a 50yd slug pattern from turkey shot. i bought an HS Undertaker Hevishot tube and remington 3inch heavy shot loads. patterns were amazing. IMO a perfect pattern. nice and dense...tight but not everly tight. i dont remember pulling the trigger on any spring bird. one killed itself by walking into the pattern and i got lucky. the other i dont even remember lining up a bead or recoil or the gun going off lol. something about spring birds do that to me. so saying i would aim my super duper tight fist sized pattern like a rifle is not true. i havent shot a bird yet with the hevishot/undertaker..but itll rock them..thats for sure. extended my range ALOT as well as gave me a nice dense tight pattern..for about 50$ or so...

also..figured id mention it. i fired many other lead and copper plated lead turkey loads through it and they all patterned 100% better than before and i wouldnt hesitate to hunt with any of them if i didnt have hevi shot
Old 01-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Try different shells with a couple of chokes I have a 870 super mag as does my buddy. We each bought 2 choke tubes and each bought different ammo to defray cost and multiply our chances at finding a pattern we liked. What we found was the same guns patterned differently with same choke ammo setup. We also found some of the 3 1/2 inch shells actually blew holes in the pattern not to mention are a bit tough on the shoulder. Ours were better with just 3 inchers maybe yours isn't. But the heavy shot was worth the extra cost hit amazingly hard. Knocked over the target we where shooting at were as regular ammo didn't maybe just got lucky seemed to be a much more solid shooting shell. Good luck, try to find someone to buddy up with it does save a ton!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

ditto ultimag. I have rhino and nitro shell. best combo I ever shot. wouldn't waste time with others cause you will use more money in long run than just going with this combo. Only other choke I would consider would be the jellyhead by primos and the nitro shell.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:34 PM

Details and links please! What exact choke, and ammo?
Old 01-19-2007, 07:52 PM

Check out these guy's, they'll custom turn, they can advise acording to the shot size
you'd like to shoot and less expensive than most.

[/align]The tube I got for my Browning was like $47 including shipp'n.

[/align]

[/align]http://www.wilsonprecision.com/index.html

[/align]
Old 01-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

www.nitrocompany.com

www.rhinochokes.com

look up for your gun what choke.

I use the 3 1/2 inch shell with 4x5x7 load. it will give you what pellet count you can expect from your gun .

Old 01-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

If money is no object, Rhino/Nitro hands down, or buy several chokes and loads and find the best for your gun.

Quick Reply: Choke suggestions please!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.