Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Anyone have trouble with mouthcalls tickling/irritating?

Old 01-09-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Anyone have trouble with mouthcalls tickling/irritating?

I am tryin to get abit more into turkey this year, never seriously hunted them. But I have tried and tried to practice with my mouthcall and i just cant keep it in my mouth. it tickles the roof of my mouthand is really irritating. Anyone else have this problem. Do i just need to stick with hand calls?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone have trouble with mouthcalls tickling/irritating?

The call is not back far enough in the palette. The back of the frame of the call should almost touch the soft tisue on the back of the palette allowing the tape to form up onto that soft tissue...
Old 01-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Matt, you have to swallow 6 before you get it right!

I know what you mean, my gag tolerence is very low for a mouth call!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:33 PM

i about swallowed mine twice at first...woohoo, 4 more to go! I still cant get it, moving it further back...irritates the dickens out of me but I really wanna make this work. honestly more for predator calling, than turkey but hopefully i can get a nice tom this year to put on the wall. I have several located right now, just gotta wait my turn.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep trying. It will go away with time.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might have to try diffrent brands of calls to get what feels right for the roof of your mouth or you could try to trim off some of the tape of the ones you have.
Another thing you might want to try is to soak the callto get it soft enough to form to the roof of your mouth.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Spike

It took me forever to learn, put it farther back and the gaging reflex andirritating will finnally go away
Old 01-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Typical Buck

One trick that I have found is put a stick of stale gum in your mouth and hold it to the roof of your mouth. If it is just tickling your mouth then some of the tape needs to be trimmed off the back side of the call so that it fits better into the roof of your mouth.
Pat ELy
Old 01-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing I should have brought up to the plate was your Tongue and how it should be while working the call. Most new callers tend to use the tip area of your tongue. The Middle section of your tongue should be what makes the contact with the Reeds.

By useing your tip of the tongue you are pushing up the call and the laytex is viberating on the roof of your mouth. The Middle part of the Tongue allows you to keep the mouth call level with the pallette and the laytex should not touch your palette..,,
Old 01-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had this problem at first...but don't give up, when you get it just right you wont forget! Try some different brands of calls and see what works best. I like the primos calls the most. They seem to fit in my mouth much better. But what works for me may not work for you. If you haven't tried the primos calls, I would give them a try!

Quick Reply: Anyone have trouble with mouthcalls tickling/irritating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.