Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Public ground in OK or KS

Old 12-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Public ground in OK or KS

I am trying to plan a trip to Oklahoma or Kansas to get my rio this spring. I prefer to hunt public ground as to me its a little more rewarding than a guide or outfitter. Has anyone hunted public ground in these states or having any suggestions?
Old 12-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Public ground in OK or KS

I am thinking of a trip to Black Kettle Creek. It is BLM land in OK. I have heard really good things about the place. Google it!
Old 12-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

I take the same info for KS.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:28 AM

I live and hunt here in Kansas. I have had good success on public land right here in south central Kansas. Check out Pratt Sand Hills Wildlife Area. I took both of my spring Gobblers there in 2006. This wildlife area does have a bunch of big gobblers.

Try the KDWP websight: http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/

Word of caution. Opening two days may not be the best time to hunt. Two years I have been there and there isthis fella from Garden City that comes and just scares the birds away. He will call way too loudly before sunrise and just hammer away until flydown. He is usually gone by Friday. There will usually be one or two other hunters out there on the weekends, but they are respectfull. If you want to hunt opening day contact me and I could show you where to go to avoid that idiot, or take advantage of his stupidity.

kennyt
Old 12-29-2006, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Dolfer,

Not cool of you to select a city like that. I myself live in Garden City and swap lots of hunts from Turkey to you name it. I resent your post very much. I myself have never hunted the Pratt area but I think I know the person you are talking about.

If it is the same person, I took him hunting on our private land and he did the same stuff here. That is why I told him about the Pratt area and the reason he no longer hunts with us. I also told himabout several others spots around the state also. (By the way even with his loud noise he managed to get a bird on our private land).

We only hunt 100% private land and have 100% success on turkey for the past 5 years running. No I am not a guide. Just a person with lots of land available to hunt.I have 6 turkey swaps this year and 4 of them are repeat people. However I got a call early this morning from one of the new people we are taking asking about this issue as I LIVE IN GARDEN CITY.

I assured him we hunt no place near Pratt and as stated in our swap we hunt only 100% private land. So if you want to talk about respect I think you need to take a hard look in the mirror... ....

If I were the administrator of this post I would remove your comments......