Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Remington 870 choke and shot size?

Old 12-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington 870 choke and shot size?

I just got a new Remington 870 turkey hunting gun and haven't used it for turkey hunting yet and wanted to know what choke shot size combinations you guys have found works good in this gun...this way I don't have to buy a lot of different stuff!! This is a pretty popular gun, so I figure there would be a lot of comments. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 870 choke and shot size?

I have the same gun. I just had to go and shoot several different types of shells in different sizes. Mine shoots Federal Premiums in 6s the best. Little over 300 pellets in a 12in circle at 30yrds. So that's what I stuck with. Main thing is you don't want any 'holes' in your pattern. Some like more 'umph' with 4s but I say shoot what patterns the best. I prefer copper plated shot becuase it doesn't seem to deform as easily. Oh and you might want to try several different chokes as well. The Remington Turkey Choke that came w/mine didn't work that well. I bought a Hastings Extra Full and it worked a lot better. Bottom line, just shoot a bunch of rounds until you find what you like the best.

Looking back I just realized you said: "this way I don't have to buy a lot of different stuff!!" and my advice to "shoot a bunch of rounds" probably wasn't what you wanted to hear.... but I still say that's the best advice I can give. Sorry
Old 12-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot an 870 3 1/2 inch with a Jellyhead choke and Rem. hevi shot no. 5 shot. I would suggest using a non lead shot though. Winchester makes a good non lead load. Hevi 13's are also good. These will cost you more but to me they are worth it. I'm really upset that Rem. won't be making hevi shot anymore, but I bought several boxes of the magnums last year, so I will be using this load for a while. If you don't want to spend a lot of money then try a copper plated lead load and maybe an undertaker choke. I will never go back to lead though.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a rem 870 20 gauge express mag. I have to buy a barrel that will be good for turkey/ trap shooting. What do you think i should get? barrel length?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the 870 Super Magand shoot no. 5's with the xtra full choke that came with the gun.Haven't missed a turkey with it yet, it really puts it on 'em and I don't see how it canget any better. Number 4's don't pattern as well as 5's with the xtra full choke.Some people with this gun say thefactory choke doesnt shoot asgood as a Hastings or a Jellyhead. I can'timagine howmuch more lethal this gun could be, BUT I'm gonna try out a new choke this year and maybe step it up a notch.I'll probably try aHastings, I hear good things about 'em.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Squirrelkilla: Trap shooting usually calls for a long barrel, (generally 30-32"), to assist with a smooth swing and follow-through while leading the target. Pure turkey barrels are usually much shorter than that, usually 20-24". You are not swinging on a moving target and a shorter barrel is handier in the brush. Barrel length has little effect on pattern density. If you are looking to buy one barrel, I'd recommend a 26". It's a compromise. Long enough to assist with your swing, short enough to not be too much of a pain in the brush.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

Squirrelkilla: Trap shooting usually calls for a long barrel, (generally 30-32"), to assist with a smooth swing and follow-through while leading the target. Pure turkey barrels are usually much shorter than that, usually 20-24". You are not swinging on a moving target and a shorter barrel is handier in the brush. Barrel length has little effect on pattern density. If you are looking to buy one barrel, I'd recommend a 26". It's a compromise. Long enough to assist with your swing, short enough to not be too much of a pain in the brush.
10-4! I use the 30" for Ducks, Doves and Trap. Have taken many Quial andTurkeys over the years with Win mod. 12 20"/Mod.I also use the Win mod. 12 for Skeet!