Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Sorta new, using a bow.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:00 AM

Default Sorta new, using a bow.

I have been turkey hunting very little, only with a gun. I have since given up gun hunting and only bow hunt. I am not the good turkey caller, but I am an excellent shot. What I am wondering is does it make me any less of a hunter to bring a friend to call in the birds. I have to learn from somewhere. I don't want to get a bird with my bow and be extremely proud and someone say, sinceyou didn't call it in your not a turkey hunter. I no, I' m not yet but I love hunting and the outdoors and want to become a better turkey hunter. What is everyones thoughts. Also what are some tips for hunting turkey with a bow. I now the basics, ex. better to use a ground blind. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sorta new, using a bow.

ash,

Of course you dont have to call in the bird by yourself!
That is one of the greatest things about turkey hunting, you dont have to go alone, I hunt by myself maybe 3 times a year, the rest are with family and friends!
If you know a experienced caller, what better way to learn than to go with him or her?? Its a great lesson! Also, dont be afraid to ask questions!!
Some tips might include, letting your poundage down so you can hold your draw longer. Also, set up brhind a tree instead of in front of it so the tree can hide the movement from drawing your bow!
Please PM me if you have any more questions!!!

Good Luck!!!!
Old 12-17-2006, 11:48 AM

Default RE: Sorta new, using a bow.

Thanks I may pm you a little later on. My big problem is I don't know the types of calls (ex. cluck) I can reproduce the sounds I hear fairly well, I don't know what they are called or when to use them.I can use a slate, box and mouth call pretty well. I know I have alot to learn.