Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

owl calls

Old 12-01-2006, 12:03 PM

Default owl calls

thinking about getting a new owl locator call this spring since i discovered that i have misplaced my other one. in your opinion what is the best owl call and why? (i was using a knight and hale call previously)
Old 12-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: owl calls

For me, I haven't had much luck with owl calls...I have had more luck with crow calls, therefore, I don't use owl calls much
Old 12-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

This question has been asked many times. I'll give my input again. Learn to use your mouth. Most experienced turkey hunters will just use their own mouth-voice owl call, including myself. Just practice a lot.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

Hunted with a guy from Ohio who had a Woodhaven owl call. Very nice. I have a HS Strut and can make a good call with it. I must admit I hear owl's hooting all the time, particularily, at dusk and rarely hear the shock gobble back. My crow calls are used much more as well. It's one more in the arsenal however, so of course if you're a turkey hunter ya gotta have it!
Old 12-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

excellent point superstrutter. I often forget this one and have practiced the mouth call. It's probably the one locator that can be more readily mastered this way. I've gotten a shock gobble from a mouth crow call but my vocal chords hurt after doing that one.[8D]
Old 12-01-2006, 05:30 PM

i've tried to use my voice but find i can't get the volume i desire and it makes my throat hurt. i do have a crow call, but find that the turkeys in my part of the country do not shock gobble to crows AT ALL!!!! therefore, i am going to get another locator call and just want to know which is considered the best.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

try the peacock call for a locater
Old 12-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was using a doe bleat can while deer hunting and the gobblers were going nuts for it! Anybody ever experience this?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

No I have not tried the can but allot of different sounds will make a gobbler shock gobble. GO BUCKEYES
Old 12-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

a hog squealer is another one of those good locator calls.....i use my own voice for the owl or i use a crow call......

Quick Reply: owl calls

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.