Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

owl calls

Old 12-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: owl calls

Don't waste your money. Learn to sound like an owl with your mouth and hands like that one guy said, you get better volume that way.And please don't buy a peacock call, you might as well scream like a girl real loud. A turkey will gobble at a truck door slamming, so don't go buying all these locator calls. Just slam a door or fart real loud, haha they'll gobble if they're hot.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

whats wrong with a peacock call?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a gobbler is really hot just about anything will work. I hunted Tennessee last year and they did not respond to owl or crow calls. They would sometimes respond to a Canada goose call. Of course I didn't bring one with me, but there were a few geese around to strike a gobble. Back home in Louisiana the owl call usually works great. I hunted in south Texas and needless to say, not too many owls down there, but everytime a coyote howled gobblers would quickly respond. There is a peacock across the road from my land where I hunt. Sometimes when he hollers a gobbler will sound off. My favorite is still the owl call done with my mouth. Practice with it.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

turkeys are like humans in that they have moods. I have heard owls hooting all evening without another sound. A coyote howl and the bush hammers back with gobbles. Another night those same owls will trade calls with the gobblers.

I went my first year without hearing a turkey shock gobble to a crow. Just thought it was in "my area". Well those days have happened since but I also have had those mornings where you can get a headache from the crows and shock gobbles.

I have a variety. That's what those fancy smancy turkey vests full of pockets do for you. I mean what's a couple crow calls and an owl hoot weigh?

Have fun with your calls. I say spend your money (until your wife gives you #*&! )

Sure, sure if you want to seem impressive and do it "au naturale" go ahead. Heck, it is somewhat impressive, but nothing worng with any locator call (ppppfffft!) that makes a turkey go "Gooobble Goobble Gobble"
Old 12-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't reckon there's anything wrong with a peacock call if you wanna spend some more money of locator calls. I just wouldn't have one. Turkeys gobble at just about anything when they want to. The best are crow and owl calls, in my opinion. Sometimes just some soft clucks work before daylight too.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

or you could drive around and slam your car door all morning?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

This question has been asked many times. I'll give my input again. Learn to use your mouth. Most experienced turkey hunters will just use their own mouth-voice owl call, including myself. Just practice a lot.
Ditto!!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

I use my natural voice, but I do have a HS strut owl call and it works very well. Especially when locating before sun up. Once the sun is up I'll use a crow call. I wont use a crow call before sun up. I dont hear the crows until its starting to lighten up. So to me using a crow call when its still dark out isnt a natural thing in the woods. To where an owl call is natural... Just my thoughts...
Old 12-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess you could, probably wouldn't kill a turkey though. I was just simply saying that turkeys will shock gobble at just about anything sometimes so it really doesn't matter too much what kind of locator call you use. I thinkthey're more apt to shock gobble really early in the morning when they're still roosting, so don't expect a turkey to sound off to a truck door slamming at lunch time, hit a crow call.