Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

gobblers hung up

Old 11-15-2006, 01:58 PM

Default gobblers hung up

ive only been springturkey hunting for two years now, and i learn something new every time i go. last year i hunted a group of birds that are always roosted over a hardwood bottom that ends at a large creek. i located the hen roost and the gobler roost about 100 yds apart. i got in between the two before daylight and got as close to the gobler roost as i dared possible. i started some light calls as the sky was cracking gray and immediately got gobbles from what sounded like several different birds. for the next 2 hrs i called sparingly, sometimes aggressive and sometimes softly, and the gobbles never moved. are these old birds that wont fly down until they see the hens on the ground? how can i connect during the coming season? any suggestions are welcome, this is driving me crazy.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gobblers hung up

Do not call till you know they are on the ground. You may be over calling. If you are that close call softer you may be calling to loudly also.
DON'T MOVE!!!
There are so many options it would be impossible to explain it all here. Keep reading the posts on here and you will pick up a lot of pointers from some very good turkey hunters.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:13 PM

you are definatley over calling.. trust me I over called my first year badly.. once i got em gobblin i just kept on wantin to hear it lol. decoys can help and maybe try a fly down cackle about 30 minutes after sun up.. probably around 3-5 feeding hens right off the treeline where the gobblerscan see it clear.. get in there early so you have plenty of time to get setupbefore they can see your movement.. good luck on gettin em.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

My favorite call on henned up gobblers are the trusty fighting purrs. Will usually draw in the toms or the hens followed by the toms. Try not calling for 15-30 minutes then bust loose, and make it sound like a brawl. Has worked for me many times in the past. Good Luck.