Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

what kind of feeders do yall use?

Old 11-08-2006, 07:41 PM

Default what kind of feeders do yall use?

i am tryin to make a turkey feeder out of a 55 gal drum......
i hunt in texas so there are lots of pigs here and i was just looking for any ideas or opinions on it..i have access to a welder so it is going to be all metal...... i was thinkin of making a stand for it with tripod legs and like a round metal tray to where it is big enough for turkeys to put there head in there.i will draw a rough idea right now..thanks
Old 11-08-2006, 08:09 PM

Default RE: what kind of feeders do yall use?

heres the rough idea any opiions will be appreciatedhttp://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m181/what_it_do_2167/roughpik.jpg
Old 11-09-2006, 08:31 PM

any replies might help
Old 11-09-2006, 09:08 PM

heres a good design that the deer and hogs cant get into. called vita rack turkey feeder. watever you do anchor it down so the hogs dont tip it over.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:35 AM

how much does that cost? atleast just for the stand and would you have to make any adjustments to the 55 gal barrel? i like it but i think ill spend less money on my own by welding it my self.
and the pigs would probably tip it over easily
Old 11-10-2006, 02:01 PM

the stand itslef is 100 dollars. i wouldnt get it either but i was saying you could try and weld that design...just a thought. yea the pigs would be into that in no time unless it had some pretty strong anchors. i like yur idea you sketched up as well. it looks like one ive seen selling for almost 150. good luck with it, i kno my craftsmanship couldnt handle something like that.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:48 PM

yea i started makin them the year after i was introduced to turkey hunting and i would see the turkey feeders at the feed store and i thought i could make on my self the first one i made was out of a 5 gal. bucket and i used pvc pipe for the legs but it worked alright i did have several sightings of turkey feeding off of it but the feed would run out fast and the pigs would tear it up so now i plann on making a big welded one it might weigh mor ethan that vita rack one but thats good because of the pigs there....i started making the bucket ones about 3 yrs ago and then this years catalog i saw a feeder that looked just like mine but of course its around 200 bucks........the feeder i plan wont be that high though atleast not as high as the one on the bass pro catalog..[height wise]it goin to be stictly for trkeys and any other birds that wanna drop by