Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

DIY Merriams spring 2007 info please

Old 11-07-2006, 08:27 PM

Default DIY Merriams spring 2007 info please

My brothers, a nephew and friend will be hunting 3 days in KS some time the between April 20 - 27, 2007. Since we will be a long ways from Georgia, we'd like to use the rest of the time to hunt a merriams and are currently considering NE and CO.

Any information, direction and/or guidance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Joel
Old 11-09-2006, 08:12 AM

Default RE: DIY Merriams spring 2007 info please

What will you be hunting in kansas ,,rios i suppose,,there some good merrium huntin in nebraska and s.dakota. but if your wanting public land i hunted western oklahoma and got my rios,,then hoped over to northern new mexico for my merriums on public land.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:56 AM

My nephew, Cody Williams, won the Grand Nationals calling contest in his age class and received a 3 day hunt for 2 at http://www.kansaswhitetails.com/. Since my brothers, a friendand I generally take an out-of-state trip in the spring, we decided to go hunt with my nephew and his father (one of my brothers) at the same time/place for that 3 day hunt. I assume we will be pursuing Rios on that hunt.

We pretty much wanted to hunt additional days in another location since we are traveling so far and felt like a shot at Merriams might work good. We are trying to weigh our options as for as either flying into KS for that hunt and renting a vehicle then either flying or driving to another location or maybe driving up to KS and then driving to another location.

Basically, at this point, we are trying to see what our best and/or most economical options are for an extended hunt in a different location. We'll have to balance economy of time with economy of dollars too.

Drive time from Uvalda, GA to Benedict, KS is approximately 18 hours, non-stop so it would probably take us 2 full days if we drive the route, going and coming. I don't think we will make that choice but are more likely to fly from Atlanta to Wichita then rent a vehicle.

After the KS hunt, I'm pretty sure we prefer a public land hunt for merriams.

Another option is to start the drive back towards GA and hunt easterns along the way. Again, we are exploring our options and will try to make the best choice for us. My brothers have hunted somewhere in Missouri. We have hunted in central KY as well as Peabody WMA and LBL in KY. We would definitely want to hunt a place we haven't already hunted -- that "wanderlust" for new places and new birds.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

Old 11-09-2006, 09:52 AM

Ok if you want to hunt a merriums in nebraska thers an indian reservation on the miss river about half way up the state that sells permits for turkey.They have the eastern most flock of merriums there is..The same place the drury boys hunt sometime..Check it out..
Old 11-09-2006, 11:34 AM

Thank you Swamp Rooster.

I see from a search the following:

Santee Sioux on the Missouri River between Santee on the north and Center on the South.

Winnebago and Omaha Indian Reservations in Thurston County, on the Missouri River, below Sioux City.

Would the one you are talking about be the Omaha Reservation?

Thanks,

Joel
Old 11-09-2006, 12:00 PM

tHE WINNABAGO SOUNDS FAMILIER ,JUST MAKES SOME CALLS TO THE TRIBAL LEADER AND SEE WHAT THEY HAVE TO OFFER,AND GOOD LUCK I HOPE YOU ALL GET GOOD BIRDS UP THERE.BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW HOW YOU DID..
Old 11-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shame your not going in May, I could have fixed you up with a very economical Merriam hunt in NE.