Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First Turkey

Old 10-15-2006, 07:26 PM

Default First Turkey

I was on only my second ever turkey hunting trip yesterday with my son. He is nine and I was hoping to get him a turkey. The weekend started off terribly. I forgot my turkey calls, the shells for my gun and some of my camo. I was planning for a deer hunt as well and I had too many things on my plate. I should have kept it simple. I had to take a quick trip to replace the shells and thecamo.

Anyhow, we went to the highest point on the farm to watch for the turkeys. After about two hours we found them. We quickly went to a place to cut them off. They beat us to the point we were headed. I was trying to get my son set up and the first turkey poked his head up right in front of me about 20 yards away. The other turkeys began to fly away but I got off a good shot at the one in front of me just as he began to spread his wings. He weighed 18# with 1" spurs and a 11 1/2" beard.

I was glad my son got to see this and hopefully next weekend he gets his chance. This time I am going to be prepared and save some headaches.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:24 PM

Default RE: First Turkey

Congratulations. I'm hoping for my first next weekend.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:49 PM

Oct 28-Nov 3...wont be my first but hopefully i canharvest my first longbeard
Old 10-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats!