Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Scopes / Red Dots...

Old 06-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey Scopes / Red Dots...

I am looking at getting a scope or a red dot scope for my turkey gun. I don't know very much about them and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on which they prefer and why? Also, what brands are good? Advantages and disadvantages of a red dot over a normal scope? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Scopes / Red Dots...

I personally have a red dot and wouldn't change.

It is the bushnell trophy with rainguard.

Here's what I like:

-good feild of vision as it is no magnification. You may like a low power mag as that is the main advantage a scope user would say I bet. I have good eyes still so the 50 yd and in distance on turkeys I don't need magnification.

-quick locating birds with no magnification. I don't like having to hold your eye at a specific distance on the scope to get the good view. With the no mag red dot you can see through it with your eye close or far.

-excellent in low light. Also can adjust illumination on your red dot to 11 different intensities. Also has a sun sheild for those very bright days.

-has the turkey reticle with a dot and circle around it. The circle is designed to be the size of a 10 inch circle at 30 yds. If the head looks anything like my sighting target in the circle I know he is well within range.

-doesn't fog up. I know you can get this with scopes but I also think the bigger eye relief I have helps with this. The lens of the scope ain't right above my heavy breathing.

-small size. A red dot is very compact on the top of the gun. A little less to catch twigs in thick cover and just a little less cumbersome overall.

Now here's what I don't like:

Batteries! Forget to turn the thing off and you find your self having to spend another $5 on a new battery. I did this a couple times but I am better now and always carry a spare battery.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:55 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I use a Nikon Monarch Turkey Pro and I won't change. In some states it is my understanding the red dot is illegal. But that might be a projected red dot on the animal and not one that is contained within the scope lens iteself.

But at 40 yards the Tom's head fills the scope diamond within the Nikon reticle very nicely and also helps me determine range!

JW
Old 06-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I prefer the scope over the red dot. The scope is always on, I don't have to remember to turn it on. The scope never is left on and kills the batteries and I've hunted with those whose red dots died. Yes, that is the fault of the owner but it still happens. I don't have to remember to turn on my scope before or during a setup and turn it off after a setup...etc...

I'm used to a scope. I would never change.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I prefer the scope over the red dot. The scope is always on, I don't have to remember to turn it on. The scope never is left on and kills the batteries and I've hunted with those whose red dots died. Yes, that is the fault of the owner but it still happens. I don't have to remember to turn on my scope before or during a setup and turn it off after a setup...etc...

I'm used to a scope. I would never change.
What brand of scope do you use?
Old 06-15-2006, 05:48 PM

I have a Bushnell Holoscope, and it doesn't miss, won't "blow up", works in all conditions and light. best available, IMHO.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never shot a turkey gun with a scope. Open sights all the way....
No chance of dead batteries, fogged up scopes, or bumping it when you run n gun.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trijicon works for me. Never used one on a turkey gun before though.