Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I was told to use my 2nd Tag

Old 05-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I was told to use my 2nd Tag

A call last night from QuakerBoy and was told they could not make it up , so go ahead and use my Tag.

Well I do as I'm told

After about 4-5 days of screw ups on others guns and bird misses like no tomorrow I was getting a little frustrated

It was time to get mean with these birds

Really it was a very pretty hunt. Setup in a field edge where I seen a nice Gobbler and a couple hens last night before dark. The bird moved to a location across the field to roost and when they came down off the roost, they headed up into a hardwood ridge. I knew I was not going to get them down to the field so I decied to move up onto a ridge with a small finger of field goes into the woods. As I get there I slide over the crest of the hill and sat against a Big Maple tree on the edge of the finger.

There is a hen feeding about 30 yards out and the sun is shining on her so she could not see me. I got set and had the gun ready as I wondered if the Gobbler was close , just I could not see him.

I yelped lightly on a mouth call and the hen took notice and started yelping back , Then all of a sudden a gobble roars from my left.

My gun is pointed in the direction of the hen and at 3:00 on a watch the gobbler walks out in fan with two hens. The birds work to about 30 yards from me and the hen in the field starts cutting and runs right passed me and to the gobbler.

Now he has 3 hens and in a Perma Strut. But they are all looking at one and other and I can't move. As I watch from the corner of my eye , the hens start feeding and Mr. Strutter is dancing around , then he turns Tail to me and thats just what I needed to swing.

I got set and could not shoot because the hens were all in front of him. I sat on the ready for 5 minutes waiting out the seperation of the birds , finely , the hens mill one way and Dancer pulls the wrong move and struts the other. I gave out a load cluck and he just turns in strut. I yelped a few times and clucked again and he takes his head off his back and the 20 gauge roars at 30 yards and the Clock stopped at 6:45 am.

20.5 LB
8.5 thick Paint brush beard
1 in spurs that are worn.

Great hunt and back on track with bird Bustin ...BT

Old 05-23-2006, 05:05 PM

Default RE: I was told to use my 2nd Tag

And I'll bet you aint a lefty... Way to hang tough on em Adrian
Old 05-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Atta boy Adrian ,he's a great loking bird and sound's as though thing's were a little tense for a time .Congrat's to you bud .

nubo
Old 05-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird and pretty pictures,
gotta love the blossoms in the spring.

I just wish thatyou weren't waiting on a filmed hunt so I could brag about the year that I tagged out before BT .
Old 05-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats!

BT...how much land in Ontario do you have access to? you do alot of hunting my friend!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

WTG on another Canadian gobbler BT!! Beautiful pic's by the way!!
Just curious, who was taking the pic while you were posing????

Old 05-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on a fine looking bird...
Old 05-24-2006, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

you go boy.......not too many men listen as well as you do, lol.......
Old 05-24-2006, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

tschaef , Good one , I guess you can say that [8D]

MDManiac, I have about 20 different properties that I could hunt, some I have not even stepped foot in this year and some of my goood places have been no good , the birds just don't seem to be around these areas. I've been spending my time at places that have the hard hunting , just to get these smart birds. Most places I hunt have other hunters in them , but not often I see to many hunters because I just go to another place.

Maytom, I'm going to tell ya , this picture taking of me is real hard to do at times. I take them alone with a selftimer on the camera. This is why I had the fence post in the camera,because you can focas on it and then move the camera shot over and jump in it. I end up taking about 6 pictures to get the one I'm after. I did like the Blossoms on the apple tree so I wanted to enclude it.

huntnma, I always listen to what I'm told [8D]

Thanks everyone ...BT

Old 05-24-2006, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

congrats BT!!!!!! nice bird and story.

Quick Reply: I was told to use my 2nd Tag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.