Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

before a storm...

Old 05-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default before a storm...

well i got home from school for the summer today..tomarrow im headed back to "gobble ridge"....where i spooked the birds the first saturday...and hunters SCREWED me this past saturday....figuring..hoping they havent seen a hunter since saturday...and hopefully them hunters that screwed me didnt get any shootin and hopefully didnt spook them too bad...i think the birds busted them early on and left before they got TOO spooked..im hoping....ive never seen or expected to see a turkey hunter back there...had to be the neighbors judging by the way they came in and snuck in...but if all goes well they will be there....and hopefully talkin! but what should i expect before a rain/storm moves in?? theres a 50% chance AFTER 1pm...and a 70% chance wed night and thursday....how will they act? any special tactics to try? im going to try the same setup...maybe slightly diffrent location..same general driection though since it was ABOUT to work until them hunters moved in and spooked my birds before i got a shot...they were hot to trot..i should tagged one that morning!! rahhhh but the seasons early yet...see what i can do.....

also.....i dont want to OVER hunt these birds....how often can i hunt them and get away with it before they know more about me then i know about them?? i got tons of calls i can throw at them....and can try diffrent tactics and setups.....im determined to tag a bird there....they are usually exciting birds to hunt because they dont see much hunting pressure and talk ALOT....any advice on that?? i got other spots to TRY...but none as good as this one.......IF its still a good spot...if i dont hear anything tomarrow ill let it rest till friday or so....i wont even set up unless they are talking tomarrow

any advice...tips..hints..tactics...info go ahead and post..ill definently read and try to make us of it! thanx guys
Old 05-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: before a storm...

Since you know the birds are there I dont see why you cant set up even if you dont hear any gobbling. I expect you will hear some though. Just remember to have patience. Call accordingly to how the birds are acting.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: before a storm...

im trying to learn that patience thing.....i said i wouldnt set up if they werent gobbling because i dont want to educate and potential get busted by them again because they are silent......i hope they are there....and hope they are talking.....if they are there and talking on the roost ill sit as long as i can....which still isnt as long as id like....its hard to make me sit and wait for a turkey....thats my downfall....i can run the hills all day after turkeys...but when they arent talking thats all i do...i just LOVe hunting the hot active birds.....but i guess they dont all come that way...more and more these last few years i been noticing birds not talking after fly down....birds coming in silent etc...im trying to learn patience...i sat for 2hrs today in one spot and only fell asleep for a brief few minutes!! woke up and something was walking behind me...i KNEW it was a turkey..sounded like a turkey.....but wasnt no turkeys! lol....im determined to get one this season.....i need a confidence booster right about now...i killed 2 long beards 2yrs in a row on my own....now you can see i second guess everything i learned and know...last season was long and frustrating....mainly because i got hung up on hunting a behemouth BOSS tom....big son of a gun...he whopped me day in and day out....closest i came was the first time we met....saftey off..40yds...35yds..come out of strut....RUNs away...DANGED cows chased him!! i learned alot last season...im feeling so down i may even take a jake if im so lucky to get one in view of my bead and he gives me a good hunt....my confidence is down...and its been a tough year....not much action for me yet...4am comes early.....ill make a new post tomarrow....see what happens....3 things can happen...1 they arent there...2 they wont play.....3....things go my way...and im posting pics by noon! i hope they are talkin hard and running to my calls tomarrow....no doubt sat i would had a bird if them hunters didnt move in on me....i can only hope for the same to happen tomarow minus the hunters