Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New England Status?

Old 04-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New England Status?

Hey all,

Been seeing tons of birds, all the toms/jakes have been in strut. Have been hearing nothing, either at night or early morning. Drove to one of my spots last week, only to find 4 hens with 4 jakes. Mouth called, and the jakes went immediately into strut, without a single gobble.

Seems the breeding is well underway.

I think the hunting will be difficult, at least around here, until the middle of May. What is everyone else hearing/seeing?

S&R
Old 04-27-2006, 05:31 AM

Default RE: New England Status?

I hunt towards northwestern part of Ct and didn't hear a single gobble tues or weds early AM (not even from roost). I did hear elsewhere of people hearing them gobble every day (tad further south). I don't think its unusual at at to have a real quiet time shortly before season opens as I've seen it before. We will just have to see what happens come next weds.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Spike

Plenty of Gobbling & Birds in Southeastern VT.

The farm Iwill be hunting has at least 5 mature toms regularly making appearances.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Birds have been quiet here in Rhode Island. The few times I have been able to get out and scout, was only able to raise a couple of shock gobbles. Today was opening day, I heard 3 birds, but they didn't wanna play. I'll see if they'll cooperate better tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:44 PM

the birds in central New York are perfect for hunting right now...everythings greening up and the hens are leaving the fields mid-morning...toms' are gobbling from roost limbs and on the ground...this seems like the best spring season we've had in quite a long time....hey!...i can only hope, right??...lol
Old 04-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

longbeards,

It sounds like your part of NY is gonna be great. I have been in Otsego County NY the last few weeks, particularly last weekend and for Palm Sunday, and I can tell you that the birds there are acting just like ours in CT. Have quieted down considerably the last 2 weeks, and are heavy into the breeding.

It will be a very interesting and fun Spring season for some of us I think....

S&R
Old 04-28-2006, 10:12 AM

I'm hunting in East Lyme.Today i went out to the property i'm hunting to do some seeding for a small plot i want to start for deer.As i was driving in the fields at 10:30am,seen (12)toms all over the place with no hens around.I couldnt help it but i let out a yelp and the toms went crazy.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:24 PM

StrutnRut...i havent seen the birds react this way up here in a long time...not sure why...and it dont matter much to me...this spring feels just right for chasin old longbeards...lol...yanno?