Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

ANTICIPATION. over...(update)(now w/ pic)

Old 04-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default ANTICIPATION. over...(update)(now w/ pic)

Okay if some of you didn't know or see my post in the Northeast Forum, I'm guiding opening day for a local television show and the anticipation of the upcoming season is killing me. I'm reading all of your posts and I'm hunting through you guys right now.

I've been scouting my butt off and I have multiple birds located morning and evenings and it's tough to decide on which bird to hunt for the show, which one to keep for myself to take on film for the upcoming vol 3 of River Valley Game Calls Head Hunters series DVD and which ones to go after for friends I'm taking out.

I know, I know it's a curse to have so many birds to go after however, you know and I know it's still hunting and not getting. Some of these birds are hot and after the first day attack of the weekend warriors, private land but not exclusive, I'll be at it everday for the next 4 weeks except of course Sundays because that would be illegal in this darn state.

Anyway guys and gals, just venting my frusteration and anticipation and I'm loving reading all your hunts and seeing new pics so keep them coming...after this Saturday I'll be starting to share some more of my own. Keep it up everyone and keep those pics coming and remember, be safe out there.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I know it was a ketsup commercial but ANTICIPATION....

This morning was incredible. Gobblers sounding off everywhere until I walked back in the house to get around for work. I had one within 60 yards without me making a sound....it was tough not talking to him but I know better....Saturday is coming, that's what I keep reminding myself anyway....thanks for all the replies.[&:]
Old 04-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, I feel your pain bro .....

You are going to knock them dead--literally!!!

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

well, i wish ya all of the luck in the world..my season has ended now ,so i'm hunting through y'all....so keep the stories coming
Old 04-25-2006, 05:04 PM

good luck Rob...smile purty for the camera and keep us all informed of the hunts your guiding and calling for...i can only imagine your frustrations....figuring out the birds to go to for the cameras and clients...i cant say i envy you...
Old 04-26-2006, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

I've been scouting my butt off and I have multiple birds located morning and evenings and it's tough to decide on which bird to hunt for the show, which one to keep for myself to take on film for the upcoming vol 3 of River Valley Game Calls Head Hunters series DVD and which ones to go after for friends I'm taking out.
Go to the pretty ones for the DVD

Go to The Easyest one's for your friends

And save the rest for you.

JMHO

Old 04-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man I wish you guys/gal could have been with me this morning. I went out scouting prior to light and had the best morning in all my years of hunting/guiding.

It started as I got close to the roost area. I wanted to keep at least a hunred yards between us cause of the open woods this time of year and I just wanted to listen, next thing I know ...goobbbbllele...I sit down immediately and cover up. Next thing I know hens are flying down, cutting and fighting, gobblers are sounding off from several directions, jakes are yelping then I hear spittin and drummin only to see a fan and blue head about 50 yards from me, he struts by an opening at 40 yards turns around and heads back into the flock...a hen cut, he sounded off and two more up the hill sounded off and I see their fans and blue heads....the hen's keep cuttin, the jakes yelp and spitin and drummin....then he struts by me again headed to field, the hens follow, cut and chase on another, he gobbles, the two in the back hammer and two more to my right sound off....

Now I'm watching the clock....I'm going to be late I know it...they finally make the field, I look out and see several deer back lit by the sun, I belly crawl towards the house and get in about 7:27 and have to be at work at 8:00, 13 minute drive, I made it wheeww...man I'm pumped....can't wait

Good luck and thanks all.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Same thing this morning about 2 miles away. I went over last night (Wed) to listen to any going to roost...heard 3 spaced out.

This morning (Thur) I went over knowing I'd hear these same birds if they were talking and sure enough, bright and early they sound off. I go away from them several hundred yards up the field to listen in another draw and I hear them enter the field behind me. We sit down and they came the whole distance strutin, gobblin and practically running. No we never called and they walked by at 35 yards....

Now they just have to do that Friday night and Saturday morn. Course Saturday morn I won't move away from them.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ANTICIPATION. over...(update)

All I can say is, wow...What an exciting opening morning. It all started when I met the TV show crew at out local Gander Mountain Friday night. We went back to my house and did the preshow interview including all the call information, use of calls etc...we talked about preseason scouting and roosting a bird and setup the next day all on film. We then went to my prescouted location and once again talked about roosting a bird, our possible setup and then we headed to a listening point. Just on cue we had a gobbler sounding off and the camera man said he nailed it and that closed the show.

Saturday morning we got there bright and early and was set up in our prescouted setup. It was plenty of light until we heard our first gobbler well across the field and birds we didn't hear the night before. We were working the birds quite efficiently when suddenly they shut up. I then pounded my box call and cut a couple gobblers above us and coming. I worked the birds to within 100 yards, saw the tops of their heads and fans when a hen cut us off and pulled then just out of range. I really put on a audio show for the camera when I had the gobblers pounding in double and triple gobblers. We decided to leave the area to hit another prescouted area.

We arrived at this second area and started float calling/running and gunning. I thought it was going to be a bust when I cut a gobbler with my box call. We set up on them and had them talking but moving away. I got the crew up, 6 of us and moved down the ridge and cut them again.....they only gobbled once so I moved tighter and bam, I had him pinned. I set everyone out including the host of the show and my friends wife. We moved in behind and started quite suttle calls. We had them talking and we shut up so they'd come looking for us....time went slowly when suddenly they sounded off, closer and looking for us so we I didn't answer....moments later a second gobbler, closer and closing so we gave a couple soft sexy yelps and ...........

They asked me not to give away the ending for those who can catch the WNEP channel 16's Pennslyvania's Outdoor Life...you'll have to tune in next Sunday, May 7th at 6:30 PM on channel 16, WNEP in NE PA.....but for those who don't get the show.....we have a little saying....Black Hawk Down, Black Hawk Down.

Let's just say, my "stock" rose a few points.

You can check it out online as well come Sunday at www.wnep.com
Old 04-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ANTICIPATION. over...(update)

Congrads buddy!! Mabye one of these days we'll have to swap a "guided" Illinois buck hunt for a turkey hunt with you!

Quick Reply: ANTICIPATION. over...(update)(now w/ pic)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.