Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

slate calls

Old 04-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default slate calls

Need some ideas for slate calls. I would like one this is good of course but also easy to use sence this will be my first one ever.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: slate calls

I myself love Quaker boy, Primos and Cody. All have great sounds and are easy to use. Just practice and practice...
Old 04-22-2006, 01:29 PM

I started hunting turkeys last year, and tooka nice bird last year and this year. I used The Freak by Primos both years,easy to use and sounds great. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:31 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I have gone too custom call makers and have not been dissapointed.

prairie calls - I bought a copper pot call - is awesome
Kaiser Kalls I bought a glass over slate - double sided - slate on one glasson the other - gain awesome
Vanscoyos Game Calls - just got a slate and jsut got a glass from him....can't wait to try them for real.....they saound awesome!

I have bought many brand name calls...

Now I do know all three of these guys sell calls on E-bay....

JW
Old 04-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

for starters i would go with a knight and hale(think thats who makes it lol) "ol yeller" its made out of "sla-tek" i think its almost like a ceramic surface...very easy to use...the surface holds wooden strikers VERY well...glass and real slate can be a little bit more "slippery"...and the call doesnt need much conditioning(sanding)..sure it needs it...but it seems to need less then real slate or glass to me....it is my favorite sounding call and the one i always go too....from quiet little yelps to LOUD full range yelps....IMHO its a GOOD call..and its fairly cheap..i want to say around 15$ or so.....im sure theres lots of good calls on the market....but i went custom too...havent played with much else...actually hand made by me custom...except for that Ol Yeller...i made my own slate and glass calls in shop class a while back in highschool...and make my own strikers every year still.....the strikers are key....the ones that come with calls you buy will work and sound OK....but i like carving mine with a knife and carrying a couple diffrent strikers....they all make a diffrent sound...so you can sound like many diffrent turkeys.....sometimes a bird will respond better to some more then others ect.....i always have atleast a few strikers in my vest......you can buy more strikers...and custom ones as well....so more exotic woods run upto 15-20$ but can be worth it....
Old 04-23-2006, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The thing that you need to understand about Pot calls is that they come in many different materials and at different prices. What you will find is that calls that are built out of wood tend to be higher in price and a much better quality in sound. If you spend money , you need to ask yourself what do you really want to do. Save money and buy a forgein made Pot call that is cheeper or do you want to spend that extra and have a call the sounds good and will last.

The next step is do you want a call that will give you a variable in sound and maybe a weather type if you run into wet days. Alluminum tends to have the best sound on dry and will work fine on wet days. Finding a striker that will work and make your call the best at sound is one important thing to do after you get your call. Do not rely on the strikers that come with a call. Carbon is a Volume and wet weather striker, somethig you should have if you need it. Ash , Hickory or Cedar are the best sounding strikers you can fine for dry days and a percice yelp on Alluminum.

Out opf all pot calls Alluminum is the only material I like. Yes the others will work but Alluminum has a pitch that I can not match with Mouth calls and boxes.

Look the calls over and decided what you want before you pay for a call...BT
Old 04-23-2006, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a Bulls-eye, by Quaker Boy I think and it sounds great,much more realistic than my box call