" />

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

seting up near tom

Old 04-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default seting up near tom

ok if i use an owl call to locate where the tom is how many yards should i setup from him? lets say i setup like 50-60 yards from how will i know where he is going? should i use my slate call? thanks some advice will help too thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: seting up near tom

The closer the better but ya cant push him off the roost. Me if I get a 100 yards from him I figure Im doing good. 50 to 60 yards is pushing it. You wont know where he'll fly down too unless youve scouted the area. But if a field or logging lane is close chances are he will fly down to an opening. Asfor calls, you need to use your best call for soft calling while heson the roost. Ya cant blow him out of the tree with loud aggressive calls before daylight. Good luck
Old 04-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

hahaha push him off lol thanks for the info
Old 04-19-2006, 09:16 PM

arrowmaster gave great advice...if you dont know where his fly-down zone is...park yourself in a fairly clear spot within a hundred yards...and soft calls, starting with the tree yelp and finishing with (well...this might be a little agressive but) a fly-down cackle, flapping your hat or gloved hands against your pant leg. a few small clucks and quiet yelps can be used after that...remember...you want tosound likea hen waking up too...lol...
Old 04-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

lol yeah haha thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, you need to remember he can see a good ways off from that tree top.And if he sees you setup he will know you are not a turkey and you are busted.
I believe that if he bust you setting up like this, then your chances of calling him this season are possibly ruined.
Hecan become "call shy"
But, that is just my opinion.
Youcan be to close on your set up.
If he can hear your call, you will be surprise how fast he can close the gap of 100-200 yrds.!!!
I know this seems far away, and other hunters may tell you different, but you have to keep in mind if he sees you, it is over, you are busted.
As far as where he will fly to, most likely he will have a set pattern day after day, unless hunting pressure forces him to change it.
Good Luck!

Old 04-20-2006, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

Yea the last thing that u want to do is push the bird off the roost so i would say get about 100 yards away and set up.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few tips/comments about getting close to the roost.

1) You can get to within 25 yards after it greens up, as long as you're willing to get in the woods very early and move very slowly (ie and you have soft feet). When it's pitch dark, turkeys don't know if you're a deer, coyote or what...you're just a moveable life form on the ground 40 feet below.

2) If under 100 yards from a turkey, bite your cheek and wait for him to hit the ground before you call. If you call to him on the roost, 9/10 times you will need a decoy on the ground to seal the deal. I have used a decoy before (once), but the bird was roosted in a thick pine patch and I was on the other side of a stone wall, both of which gave me the added cover to set up the deke. IMO, if you call to him on the roost when you're that close, more times than not he will glide away from you. Also, if under 50 yards never, and I mean never, make a flydown cackle. Those gobblers know the birds that are roosted around them, and a flydown cackle from a myserious hen that close will surely ruin your early morning...

3) Rule of thumb is 100 yards, with clear shooting lanes 40 yards away. If you set up on top of a hill (as birds are like deer, and like to roost 3/4 up a ridge), set up so you can shoot the bird as soon as it clears the ridge. Because when he gets to the top, he better see a hen (or a deke) or else he may be gone...

4) Get there early...and I mean early. I typically get to where I think I'm going to setup ~30 minutes before twilight. This gives me ample time to move methodically (ie slowly and quietly) if needed, instead of rushing through the woods snapping twigs to get on a bird...

In general, as the season progresses, I typically will get to within 50 yards of a tom, more times than note because I just underestimated his distance because of the vegetation...lol. The keys are to 1) get there early, 2) move slowly, and 3) always look up!! I'm always surprised at how many turkey hunters walk through the woods looking at the earth, instead of looking up in the trees!!

S&R