Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

NY , PA, MI hunters ?

Old 04-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY , PA, MI hunters ?

Guys , I have not been back home for to long now, the weather has been nice, but I have noticed that the gobblers have not been real talkative. One morning I was out on the deck and heard lots of Gobbling about a week back, since they have clamed right up.

Anyone in the Northern States noticed this aswell ? ...BT
Old 04-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NY , PA, MI hunters ?

Adrian- its been a strange preseason around here so far buddy. i havent heard a gobble after flydown yet. and some mornings nothing on the limb. i have noticed a lot of hens so that would be my guess they are henned up big time.
a lady i work w/ is a single parent and her son wants to go hunting so im taking him out sat. for the special jr. hunt. hopefully i can pull one away from the girls. or at least work one so the boy has fun heck he may even get one.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

PA GOBBLER , that is a very kind thing you are doing. Getting the younger crowd in the outddoors and someone that may not have a person to show him that,,,Congrats to you and Good luck , I hope you call him in a Monster gobbler...BT
Old 04-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

We have some gobblers on campus and unfortunately can't hunt em, but I've called to em a few times and havnt gotten a gobble outta em. they dissapeared for a few days and I found on this am on the opposite side of the campus...actually, he was off campus
Old 04-19-2006, 09:08 PM

its weird around certain parts of new york too adrian....my brother lives in the southern tier while i'm in central new york...he isnt hearing anything...not even predawn from roost...but all i have to do is let out a crow call or owl hoot and the gobblers cut me off....seems strange, but i'm glad HE lives in the southern tier...lmao
Old 04-20-2006, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Guys, I just came in off the deck and this morning there was a gobbler and hens I guess roosted in my woods. The woods start 50 yards from the South side of the deck and I could hear the hens yelping and the Gobbler answering about a 100yards back in. They sounded like they were at the food plot I have for deer. Seems this morning is a little different again...BT
Old 04-20-2006, 05:45 AM

I haven't been out as muchas usual this year with fuel prices where they are and other stuff getting in the way, but I have jeard a few when I do go out. Right about this time I would expect them to be sorta quiet with the exception of a few gobbles real early on the roost, they are most likely henned up big time and don'tfeel the need to attract more with gobbling. Hopefully that will change in the next couple weeks and they will be ready when season comes around.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

I'm having the same thing here in MA. I've scouted five different places I hunt, both ends of the day,and have yet to hear a gobble. My wife's seen toms with hens on her way to work (on posted land, of course) but I haven't. Season opens Monday. I'll hunt NH, where MK-M-GOBL has a dozen or so "huntable" birds located for us. And Southern Tier NY (Chenango County). Could be another strange opener.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:31 PM

here in ny, i heard quite a few gobbles but all off of my property i dont know what happened to em, they al left and are roosting on other propperty,,but yes theyve been gobblin and i saw one strutting, gobblin eveyr few minutes, but it is weird i havnt heard one gobble on the roost in the evenenig yet,, all in the morning
Old 04-20-2006, 12:41 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Adruan

Upper Penn. of Mich hunt.

Sat and Sunday birds gobbling on roost good. Skies slear and each morning was about 36 degrees. Sat during the day we did find a hot gobbler. On sunday even though a beter day we saw very few gobblers....

did see hens with groups of jakes. And no mature Toms!
Did see Toms still in groups of 2 to 3 birds with an occassional Jake.
Witnessed no breeding

Monday hunt - again gobbling off the roost but not as good. Once they hit the ground all became quiet. Did get a Tom to which I shot come in but it was his Jake than answered and it was because I pulled his hen and the two Jakes with him to my set-up.
He was IMO a 4 yr based on spur length. 24.5 lbs. But very leary to coming at my set-up. Did coax him in within range but it took a while.

The difference I saw from TN to Mich was dramtic.
The Tom while he showed signs of strutting (worn wing tips) the feathers where in very good condition and not all that ragged.

He did nothave a breeding calous nor where there any feathers missing off his breast bone.

So I think it is still slow in the U.P. with no hens beeing bred much and no egg laying at this point.

JW

Quick Reply: NY , PA, MI hunters ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.