Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fighting Purr

Old 04-19-2006, 12:57 PM

Default Fighting Purr

What is the difference in sound between a normal purr and a fighting purr?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fighting Purr

Fighting purrs are much louder and aggressive. They work best in tandem. I use Knight and Hale Fighting Purrs box calls, they come in a set of 2. Use them to simulate 2 hens fighting. This works great when a gobbler has a couple of hens with him. He will usually come over to check out the fight he thinks is going on. Be ready, if you hear a gobble when you are calling, you can bet he is coming.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:17 PM

we did a fighting purr opening day, that dang henned up gobblergobbled about 4 times and never came...that was cool though, my first run-in(almost) with a turkey my first season out. the whole pissin match between him and me went on for about an hour calling and him gobbling back, finally he just shut up never to be seen.
i'm hooked.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

I like the fighting purr when the birds are really quiet it gets them really stirred up.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

I put my slate btw my knees and use a striker in each hand for "fighting purrs". I also add some loud wing beats with a canvas cloth. It's been working pretty good this year to break toms out of strut zones.
-fsh
Old 04-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

That's funny, I just heard some fighting purrs a couple days ago. Those hens were really going at it....very noisy not only with the vocals but with the wings flapping and leaves flying. I was in the woods. I started cutting and the hens came in shooting range but the Tom stayed back about 50 yards in the woods. I wasn't actually hunting, just calling in an area that I won't/can't be hunting in when my season opens in a week. Good learning experience.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:19 PM

....i've never used a fightin purr anywhere other than calling contests....lmao..