Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Where'd they go??

Old 04-19-2006, 12:08 PM

Default Where'd they go??

Ok, it's my dad's turkey season and I have been out calling forhim and so farDay one and day two went very well, I called in two jakes on day one and 3 more on day two, and we heard lots of gobbling goingon.He passed on the birds hoping to get a shot at a bigger one. Last night we had a small storm come through with a little rain and some hail that ended about and hour or two before shooting hours and then the sky's cleared up but it stayed in the low 40's in temp which is colder than it has been. We had decided to try a different area where there was tons of scratches and tracks and lots of sign of turkeys so we got up and headed out there for this mornings hunt. We got set-up and all morning didn't hear a single gobble and we drove around checking other wildlife's in the area and still never heard or saw a single bird. We finally seen one small bird out in a plowed field when we were on our way home for the day but that was all. Would the weather we had have caused them to stop gobbling and change their patterns? How do you hunt birds in the cold after a storm like that? Thanks and good luck to ya'll in your hunting!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Where'd they go??

Cold Fronts affect birds just like they do every other wild animal, fish included. They tend to gobble alot more when its warmer out, but I've seen them strutting in Snow, it's not impossible!
Old 04-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

I believe cold fronts have a lot to do with the activity. Warmer days bring on more gobbles and activity...
Old 04-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

I have heard that it was the dropping of the barometeric pressure that caused them to stop gobbling.