Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

It's great but also sad.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default It's great but also sad.

It's a wonderful and thrilling experience, hearing a longbeard gobble on roost, then calling him in , and after watching him strut for what it seems an eternity, harvesting him. It's an adreneline pumping experience, but as I look down on my kill I can't help but feel a little sadness. He is such a special and beautiful animal I feel a little remorse in killing him. Sometimes I wish after the kill I can wake him up and let him go only to match wits with him another day. I thank the Lord and each bird I harvest for the opportunity of hunting such a wonderful animal. You may think I'm crazy, but I also apologize to each turkey I harvest. Same goes for every deer I harvest. Some may ask, so Why do you hunt? The same reason most of you do, and turkeys are pretty dang tasty. I love to turkey hunt and hope I can continue doing so for many years to come. I have the upmost respect for this wonderful bird. Do any of you feel the same way?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: It's great but also sad.

Absolutely! I've only killed two turkeys that a buddy of mine hascalled in for me. But it's the same with deer or any other game animal. It is both exhilirating and somewhat sad at the same time. I think that is a normal feeling among most hunters.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

It's a wonderful and thrilling experience, hearing a longbeard gobble on roost, then calling him in , and after watching him strut for what it seems an eternity, harvesting him. It's an adreneline pumping experience, but as I look down on my kill I can't help but feel a little sadness. He is such a special and beautiful animal I feel a little remorse in killing him. Sometimes I wish after the kill I can wake him up and let him go only to match wits with him another day. I thank the Lord and each bird I harvest for the opportunity of hunting such a wonderful animal. You may think I'm crazy, but I also apologize to each turkey I harvest. Same goes for every deer I harvest. Some may ask, so Why do you hunt? The same reason most of you do, and turkeys are pretty dang tasty. I love to turkey hunt and hope I can continue doing so for many years to come. I have the upmost respect for this wonderful bird. Do any of you feel the same way?
Maybe get a camera?
No doubt, I have that wierd feeling after every kill too. I also have that very full feeling though after certain meals, and remember that is the circle of life (cue cheesy Lion King song)
Old 04-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Well, sort of. I thank the Lord for an opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors and to harvest one of these creatures he put here for our enjoyment. I don't feel the need to apologize to a dead animal though.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Native Americans always thank the spirit of the animal they harvest. The circle of life thing corny as it is, is true. If it makes you feel good , do it
Old 04-12-2006, 12:27 PM

I feel the same way. I am lucky to have the oppertunity to harvest such great animals, and I thank each one that I do harvest. I think that's the only way to justify killing the animal, to at least respect the fact that it had the same right to live you do.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, sort of. I thank the Lord for an opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors and to harvest one of these creatures he put here for our enjoyment. I don't feel the need to apologize to a dead animal though.
That's exactly what I do. I know it is the Lord that hasgiven the animal to my hand, and some days He delivers the animal from my hand. That's one of the greatest aspects of hunting! We win only a handful of times, in my opinion the animals' win more times then we even know about!

Trae
Old 04-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get me wrong people, I love the kill also. I wouldn't be hunting if I didn't. I love to eat wild game. I'm not going to kill something I'm not going to eat. I just respect the animals I kill, and I know all of you also respect the animals you kill. I'm not a so called trophy hunter, but that is a part of the hunt also. I have kept the fan and beard from every turkey I have ever killed. I'm not one of these spiritual gurus who pray or whatever after every bird I kill. I just appreciate every bird I kill. I'm just upset now because I have killed my two bird limit in La. I guess I will be hunting with the camera for the last weekend of the season, but I will still be out there. I wish my deer hunting partner turkey hunted. I could call one in for him and get it on film.