Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Just a reminder to say thank you....

Old 04-11-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Just a reminder to say thank you....

I went on an extended scouting trip today. I walked about a mile behind my house, and heard some commotion in the woods, so I headed towards it. I found the adjoining landowner chopping wood. We both greeted each other, sat down and had a chat, mostly about all the annoying city folk moving into the area. I asked again if I could hunt on his land, and he agreed with a, "no problem". I said thank you, and we both went our own ways.
Bout an hour later I got home, hopped into the car and decided to glass the fields on the other property I have permission to hunt. I glassed two birds, moved down the road a half mile, then turned off the engine and just listened. Gobbles were ringing out every ten minutes or so, enough to keep me glassing the edge of the woods till a friendly, "Hello" scared the heck out of me.
It was the landowner, really nice guy, and his first words were, "Kill as many as you want, you know that right?" Music to my ears. Anyway, we sat and talked for close to half an hour, about bears, dead hunting buddies (reason he doesnt hunt anymore, made me grateful I have what I have) and the deer season to come.
Well, on the ride home, I was thinking how lucky I am to have these properties to hunt, and how generous it is of these people to let me hunt there. All too often, once we get permission we are focused on the kill, and once that takes place we are happy, and sometimes forget to thank those who have it coming.
We must remember it is a privilidge to hunt someone elses land, and when the hunt is over never forget to offer up a thank you. It will go a long way in assuring great landowner/hunter relations for years to come.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Just a reminder to say thank you....

Very well put. I myself always say thanks and try to see the landowners I hunt on thru out the year.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well done but, only kill what you have tags for regardless of what the landowner says...have a great season.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'd be buying that man a gift......that is so cool...maybe you could help him around the property sometime...and maybe, you can get him back into hunting....y'all were brought together for a reason, hopefully thats it...
Old 04-12-2006, 04:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Well done but, only kill what you have tags for regardless of what the landowner says...have a great season.
No intent on killing more than two, but a good point none the less
Old 04-13-2006, 03:08 PM

campo, thats great to have the private lands you have access to...the very first farmer who allowed me to hunt his lands told me the same thing...'as many as you want'...he's never hunted or had wild turkey...so the very first bird i took from his lands was processed for him...and mannnnn....was he thankful...later that year he told me his family had the turkey for their sunday meal and they all loved it...so, thats my M.O. when i hunt his land...i take the first birdfor him...then hunt for me