Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Too Close!

Old 04-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Too Close!

I have never got a turkey yet, this is my second year hunting public land. Anyway, I was out this weekend before sunup. I am following a trail down toward the swamp where they seem to be (and where all the other hunters go). There is about 20 minutes until sunup and I hear a loud gobble! It was definitely within 100 yds, and probably inside 50. Anyway, I did not want to move too much so I sat down as quiet as I could at the closest tree just off the trail. I let out a couple of soft yelps. I figure he will come up the trail so I get set. He gobbles several more times and in between I let out a few more yelps. He is not responding immediately when I yelp. Then I wait. After about 20 minutes or so I hear a gobble farther off.. then nothing.
I wait another 15 minutes and figure that must have been him far off. I did not hear a flydown so dont know if he was roosted when he was gobbling or if I didnt hear him fly down. I went towards the last gobble I heard but never heard any more the rest of the day.

I figure that either I spooked him since I was so close, or something else spooked him (maybe coyotes). Anyway, I know it was bad luck hearing him so close.. but I was trying to get down to the swamp before sunup. Also, maybe I should have shut up after my first yelps and waited for him to investigate.

The season has been open for 3 weeks in GA, but have not heard anything since opening day. Maybe the mating is just getting into full swing or something. I will keep trying because I know time in the woods is the key.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Too Close!

can you say hens....
Old 04-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

man, so close yet soo far away! good luck in your hunt for a turk!!
Old 04-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, you cannot get too close to birds, unless you have no cover.

In your situation, you really have to bite your lip and wait to call until the bird hits the ground. If you hadn't called, that gobbler might have flown down right into your killing zone, just as a matter of normal routine.

More times than not, a gobbler can see the nearby roosted hens. Hence, when you call to him in the tree, at that close range, they oftentimes get spooked especially if they have been hunted hard (as this one probably has been).

Next time, try not calling till he's on the ground, and hopefully you'll be carrying him out over the shoulder...good luck!!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

just by listening to ur story makes me think u like to call and call to much..............better luck next time

Old 04-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys.. I really appreciate the feedback. I will get out in the woods as often as I can (which is never enough) until I get one!