Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Day 11, The Light Came On!

Old 04-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default Day 11, The Light Came On!

I got set up this morning in his strut zone, he gobbled within 100 yds of me and flew down to some hens, know they was there because they began to cackle. They all went south.

At 9 a.m. the "LIGHT CAME ON". If y'all remember, I told you he always roost at one end or the other of a small ridge, now a ridge here and in this case is only about 2 feet above normal ground level.

Here's a question for all you pros' and you to JW, and I'll give y'all a few minutes to think about it.

WHERE DO TURKEYS' LIKE TO ROOST IF THEY HAVE A CHOICE?

Ok, times' up, WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER.

There I was siting on my stool staring at a small pond of rain water, about a half acre in size, right under one of my old deer stands. If y'all remember, he roosts at either end of this ridge, andat the other end is a slough holding water. I set up one morning and saw him fly down out of a tree that is standing in water in that slough. He's always at one end or the other, the water is the key to where he roost.

Well I jumped up, gathered my toys and took out of there. I hadput up one of those teepee type blinds for me and my grandaughter, I went and took that sucker down. It is now over looking a pond of water and I'll be in it this afternoon. If he follows his pattern, he'll be at the other end tonight, but I'll be in the blind just in case, and the next night,etc. The only problem I may have is, he may present too long of a shot. Don't matter, If I'm right, I'll be satisfied.

dog1

Old 04-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Day 11, The Light Came On!

good luck on the bird....i know you already killed one right? so it might not matter much to you if you kill another one..one thing i learned last season is NOT to get stuck on hunting A turkey if i want to fill a tag...but man it would been somethin special if i killed that big old boy...but my posts were similar to yours....day in day out....the more i learned about him the harder he beat me...tried calling to him a tad bit on the roost.....tried not calling till he hit the ground.....100s of setups...sat by his strut zone...pi$$ed one of his hens off and had her and him within 15yds and couldnt see them because of thick brush....he beat me day in and day out....but you do have one advantage that i didnt....all day hunting.....my normal day i could only hunt till 730am....a few days i could hunt till noon but ended up leaving by 9 or 10...i just cant sit there and wait for a turkey that isnt talking....he supposed to be still alive...the farmer told me he seen one with the beard dragging on the ground.....that would be him...when he would strut last year i could see it bettwen his legs...i tried decoys(which i never hunt with) i switched my calls daily....i dont even want to see him this year....ill end up in the sameeee position lol...and got an extra tag to fill this year.....i wish you the very best of luck killing him......i know what its like......long frustrating road.....my bird roosted in the same spot every day.....but would never fly down the same way...he tended to fly down in 2 general directions for a while.....so i set up on one side and had a buddy set up on the other......got in well before light never makinga noise and he flew down the opposite way! good luck! i hope you bag him!! and post pics of that bad boy!!
Old 04-04-2006, 12:09 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Day 11, The Light Came On!

Well dog as you know I am one that with enough grit - and beleiving in what you are doing - that turkey will be yours!

Or as you would say yorn!

Let's see what this afternoon birngs!

Hope I am posting some new pictures!

JW