Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunting in a Burn Area?

Old 04-03-2006, 06:58 PM

Default Hunting in a Burn Area?

Last fall, I heard about a forest fire that sounded like it was near my favorite turkey hunting spot. Today, I was travelling in the area and looked over the situation. It appear the fire has burned about 2/3 of the approximatley 1,000 acres where we hunt. Still a number of roost trees and meadows standing. I didn't have time to look for tracks or sign; and the season starts Saturday. Do turkeys generally stay away from burn areas?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:05 PM

Default RE: Hunting in a Burn Area?

Well as long as there's trees to roost in and not much else damage was done to the food supply or anything i think you might be fine. Last year I had a CRP field burned that was right up against their roosting trees. Then 2 days laters those dad gum tom's were strutting out there!! This has been my experience so it may pay off giving them more open space to strut in.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:47 PM

Burn areas are generally a turkeys favorite area of interest. For one, it provides new growth, plus it loosens up the undergrowth where turkeys love to scratch for easy access insects. As far as roosting goes, I couldn't tell ya. I would have to see the area your hunting to make a concise explanation. I would have to assume that some where in the track your hunting there is a dense patch of hardwoods. Depending on your geographical location turkeys like areas where it's somewhat dense. So for one there's a wind barrier and two it's a safety zone where they feel the most confortable during roosting hours. If this area happens to border the burned area, or its located in the area of burned forest, then yes they could roost here. Also, remember those turkeys gotta drink water, so study a topographic map and know all these areas and try to find an in between location and hit it first thing saturday morning. If this area holds birds, then you can almost conclude that come saturday morning these birds will be gobbling. Hopefully you'll be in walking distance from a gobble come saturday morning. I would highly suggest to outline the border of land your hunting on a topographic map and take it with you when you hunt. This really helps when you're tailing a gobbling tom and you know of any upcoming obstacles (rivers, creeks, cliffs, ect.). Hope this helps and good luck with your upcoming hunt this weekend!
Old 04-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I sat in on a seminar given by Alex Rutledge, turkey hunter extraordinaire and pro staffer for HS Strut, on Saturday, and he highly recommended hunting in areas such as you described. He said he had seen turkeys roosting with smoke encircling them.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:22 AM
Typical Buck

No get in thatarea they will come to that area before the smoke clears.looking for roasted acorns and new growth and bugs.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

hunt the burn zone.........dont hesitate......