Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Another tough turkey....

Old 04-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Another tough turkey....

Just doesn't want to committ,he will come within 70yds,but then he hangs out there,and then goes away.I've tried almost all of my tricks ,but I've got one more for in the morning.There are 5 other people that are coming behind me,and trying to get him.He has been on the same side of the foodplot every day for 1 week.He has been seen 4 times,twice by me,twice by my friend.My last trick is to get into the burnt pines before daylight.Set my decoys out(one hen feeding,one hen squatting down to breed w/jake standing behind her),40yds to my left where he would have to walk by me,b/c of the terrain,and face where I have heard him.I think I will call once or twice,and as soon as he responds shut up.Hopefully when he comes out he will see the decoys,and if he hangs up at 70yds,he'll be 30yds from me.

The other wayI could do it is set the decoys out,and when I call as soon as he responds run towards him about 40yds,and get ready.The only thing about that is it is so open,I could get busted.

What do you guys think?This bird is severely pressured,and time is running out! Oh yeah,and this bird does not gobble on the roost.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Another tough turkey....

Tried without the decoys? Could be seeing those decoys and waiting for the hen to come to him! worth a shot if you havnt tried it yet! good luck!
Old 04-02-2006, 06:37 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I would not use the Jake....

Can ya get closr to his roost? Or have you tried this - If so - then stick with what you think will work.

But I have more bad luck with Jake decoys than they have worked!

OR
Do what dog 1 did - have a buddy. Each of you are either end of the field. If he gobbles on your end your buddy calls - if he gobbles on his end you call....

JW
Old 04-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

ranchand that is whay i would suggest (your last trick) also if you have a hunting partner have one guy stay back and call the other guy set up 40 tds ahead in the gobblers expected route. another trick call as you walk away from him, do a few series of yelps if he is responding, move away do some more yelping he respnds, move towards him set up and be patient and do not call.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Iwould try to cut him off especially if I knew he was taking the same way everyday. I probably wouldnt even blow a call at all, just set and wait.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

I have tried without decoys,he actually comes closer when he sees them.He didn't gobble at all this morning,and never showed up.I only clucked a few times,and yelped one series of 3 yelps every 20-30 minutes.I waited until 9,he usually is there by 7,went back in at 1:30,busted two hens dusting.I have to let this bird be for a while as much as I hate it.I need to go try another one for a bit.I did hear 2 other birds 1/2 mile away.So,many people are making it very difficult.Birds are also not responding during mid-day.I guess all I can hope is the hens start nesting soon,and some of the people give up.Thanks guys.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:59 PM

another thing you could do...is bring a friend and no dekes..have him sit behind you thirty to fifty yards and let him call...if this birds like you say and is getting heavely pressured he might venture as close to the calling as he always has, but will be close enough to you for the kill...good luck
Old 04-03-2006, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

I would set your decoys up on the opposite side of the field that he comes out in and than sit on the other side away from your decoys around where you think he will come out. Set them up about 45 to 30 min before light and do little to no calling. He may be able to see your decoys from a distance and come out but if they are to close he may be to weary of them. Sometimes if the hunting pressure is to much turkeys get decoy shy along with call shy.
I used this set up last year on a group of toms and it worked like a charm. They would come out on this pipe line and look and strut around but once the decoys didn't move for some time they would just move on. I set the decoys up where I have been seeing them from and moved down the pipe line about 100yds (around where they were coming out) called towards my decoys a few times and than just let them come in. 30 min later I shot the one at 40yds 21lbs 10 1/4" beard and 1" spurs. There is nothing more exciting than out smarting an old long beard. Good luck and let us know how thing work out.