Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help! Out of my element.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:14 PM
TDE
Spike

Default RE: Help! Out of my element.

There is at least one 4 wheeler trail. I think I'll head there one of my mornings and see what happens.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

TDE,

You have been given some good ideas, so here is another. If, and I mean only if you have the time, prior to hunting, say 4 or 5 days worth before you actually hunt. Go to the area you want to hunt, go every morning, be there early, I go and hour before daylight and wait. Don't slam truck doors or talk to your buddy, best to be alone. Listen to the birds gobble at daylight, remember where they are at. Then be in one of those areas the opening morning, within a couple 100 yds., set up and wait on daylight, be there an hour before daylight, works for me. They don't normally roost to far from one day to the next. If say, he gobbles 300 yds North of you, move towards him, but not to close. You will be amazed at how far away a gobbler can hear you.

One thing I forgot to mention, and it takes decispline and time. Sometimes during hunting season, I will go to just listen in the mornings, and sometimes the afternoon for a roost area, I will not, and I repeat, I will not take a gun or call with me, don't want to be tempted. I'm just there to listen and observe. You have to have plenty of time to do this.

Just my opinion, Good Luck!
dog1
Old 04-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

One other thing you have in your favor....You can stand in the middle of any of these properties and hear a turkey gobbling on the roost....then you have time to setup...Its not like you are on 5,000 acres...Also...with 3 properties if you have a neighbor hunting the line...you can also relocate....I too would start with the 1st mentioned...I would be nervous about the last....How long ago did the guy there feed the deer??? Could be a problem...If it has been long enough to be legal...I'd hunt that 2nd...
Old 04-03-2006, 04:08 PM
TDE
Spike

Ah, I didn't think about the legality of the guy feeding the deer (and I suppose Turkey's by association). If he does it regularily, does that mean I can't touch his property at all? Or can I just stay the heck away from his house where he puts out the corn?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

TDE...I'm in NC...so we can't go by our laws, but we can't hunt an "area" for turkeys that has beenbaited until the feed has been gone for 10 days...I have point blank asked a game warden how far away do I have to be, because I used to let my deer feeder on one property run year round...I never got a good answer,as in200 yards away..he basically said on the "property" you are hunting...Now...thats for turkey...you can put corn out by the truckload for deer...

I just thought that is one of those areas you might want to check into...If this guy has 120 acres and he is feeding deer during turkey season...I'd be scared to be on his property hunting turkeys.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

me too like nc said it would be on the property cuz i had a friend that took up the sorn 14 days before turkey season and the game warden still got him for deer feeders that they have placed over the property even though he was lke 1,000 yds from the closest one

if it were me i would start on the second then the third (if legal) then the first just because the first is the biggest one and all you saw were some tracks