Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunting public land

Old 03-31-2006, 10:39 AM

Default Hunting public land

How do you guys go about hunting turkeys on public land? It seems like it would be pretty difficult since their are only a certain number of toms and alot of people going after them. I plan on doing some scouting this weekend. How do you go about doing this? I have only gone turkey hunting once, and have no one to teach me how. Last year when I went I saw 0 turkeys. Opening day is April 10, a monday, so hopefully since there is 5 days before the weekend I will be able to beat alot of people out into the woods. I guess what I am wondering is if anyone could tell me how to go about turkey hunting? both on public and private land, i have no idea where to start...
Old 03-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting public land

Just do alot of homework before season.. get up there an hour early and sneak into their living room... Get 'em first thing first morning.. Otherwise they will get call shy. After the first couple morning inpublic land, i'll lay low until the last week of season when most hunters are back to work or whatever... It's like opening day all over again.
Just be patient and go where no other person will go.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Go to the spot you plan on hunting and set-up predawn.
Obviously listen for gobbleing. Depending on the size of land you're hunting roost location should remain fairly constant between now and the opener on the 10th. Hopefully they'll gobble for ya' when you go to hunt, and try to set-up as close as possible to them... 100 yards is a good rule of thumb. I've hunted quite a bit first season in Iowa. Be prepared to sweat your but off... or freeze it off. There's quite a bit of GOOD public hunting in Iowa. Where might you be heading to? I'm going second season.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Spike

This will be my 5th year turkey hunting on public land and so far I have been lucky enough to get one every year. You might be surprised on how many people hunt some public areas. I have only seen a couple of people each time I have been out. During the week I seem to see much less. Most of them have left at around 9 or 10 and thats when I have had some success. Good luck
Old 03-31-2006, 02:12 PM

homer, i'll either be in belle plaine, marengo, iowa city, or north l iberty. where are you at?

Old 04-01-2006, 09:51 AM

Thanks for all the help guys