Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Up or Down?

Old 03-29-2006, 10:03 AM

Default Up or Down?

Here's a question for you. I've located a gobbler roosting on the upper half of a bluff. I'm wondering wether to set-up on the high end (plowed field with a few corn and sunflower rows), or on the bottom (flooded corn approx 20 feet from timber edge). I suppose another option would be to set up on the slope itself near the roosting bird. Obviously I need to get out one morning this week and see for myself, but not sure that's going to happen. I was wondering if there's a rule of thumb regarding birds roosting in this position, and wether they prefer to fly up top, or down to the bottom. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-2006, 03:10 PM

Default RE: Up or Down?

ive heard they like to fly down to the bottomsbut i just started hunting them last year
Old 03-29-2006, 03:24 PM

turkeys dont not generally fly down hill i ould set up on the bluff not at the bottoms .
Old 03-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

High end! Turkeys generally like to fly down to the uphill side, less distance to the ground. They are also easier to call up hill than down as a rule. But then again, they never do what you think they'll do. But I'd setup on the highside.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:04 PM

so true jepcho...never seen a turkey do everything i expected...20fan...take jep's advice...its all sound!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

if they have easy access to the bluff top that is where i would set up they like to pitch into open areas like you said get out there and see in the a.m. do it a couple of mornings if possible
Old 03-29-2006, 07:21 PM

with my experience, it seems easier to call a turkey uphill than downhill
Old 03-29-2006, 07:38 PM

I agree on the "easier uphill". I have heard such characteristics defined several ways, such as "they know if they walk down hill they will have to eventually climb back up" etc... Now I think that with a marble sized brain a turkey doesn't have much reasoning ability. I think it has more to do with vision abilities (which they have in DROVES).

So here goes "Reds theory of down vs up hill and turkeys": When you are at a big event in a stadium what is it easier to see from, on top looking down or on the bottom looking up? Likewise in the woods, when standing on a hilltop/side you have a much more commanding view than you do while on the bottom and trying to look up. THAT is why I think turkeys are harder to coax downhill. Unless you have some movement decoys (and they are responding to decoys) they are more likely to see "a flaw in the slaw" quicker thus there reluctance to "come on down". When you are calling them uphill those benefits are lessoned or even gone.

At least that's my explanation,
RA
Old 03-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

If possible I will get above or on the same level as the bird....I usually don't set up below a bird but like was said above, they rarely do what you want or expect....