Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Vests

Old 03-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Vests

A novel thought - forget the vest and go with a backback.

I used the vests for several years but switched to a backpack about 7 or 8 years ago. Depending on the size it can carry more gear and, this is the best part, carry it more comfortably. I wear an old Mossy Oak turkey hunting jacket that has pockets for all the important stuff: diaphrams in an old Grizzly can, two slate calls and two strikers, shells, compass, map (if necessary), gloves and a mask. That's really all I need to hunt. The rest of the stuff goes in the backpack, like raingear, decoys (I don't use them often however, food and water, emergency shelter, knive,matches, etc. I can stay out from daylight to dark with this set-up. The biggest advantage to me is that it is unobtrusive. Vests have all those pockets with stuff hanging out of them to get caught on every vine, branch or briar. I can slip through the woods more easliy, and the backpack makes a great backrest if you have to sit down quickly.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

A novel thought - forget the vest and go with a backback.

I used the vests for several years but switched to a backpack about 7 or 8 years ago. Depending on the size it can carry more gear and, this is the best part, carry it more comfortably. I wear an old Mossy Oak turkey hunting jacket that has pockets for all the important stuff: diaphrams in an old Grizzly can, two slate calls and two strikers, shells, compass, map (if necessary), gloves and a mask. That's really all I need to hunt. The rest of the stuff goes in the backpack, like raingear, decoys (i don't use them often however, food and water, emergency shelter, knive,matches, etc. I can stay out from daylight to dark with this set-up.
I see why you need a backpack!That's a lot of stuff for hunting turkeys How far back in do you hunt? and how long do you stay back there?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

I ordered me the LittleBigHorn Gobbler lounge from Cabelas. Gonna give it a try. It's lightweight. Not very many pockets but i don't carry much. Fabric feels flimsey so i don't know how long it will last.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

MK

I'm not spending the night in the turkey woods if that's what you mean :-).

I frequently hunt all day, especially on public ground. I don't always use the backpack when hunting on some of our smaller plots of private land, but on most publicland here in Tennessee it pays to get away from the road and that is where the backpack comes in handy. My 10-year old sonstarting going with me last year and I have to carry some of his gear too. This past weekend it was cold (29-33 in the mornings) but warmed up to the low 50's in the day. The down and thinsulate jackets went in the backpack after 9:00 and we were able to hunt comfortably the rest of the day. Another issue is water. I take4 - 5 bottles of water with me on all-day hunts and they transport more easliy ina backpack. If I kill a bird early then I will pour all that water out for the walk back to the truck.