Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Gobbling/Strutting Already??

Old 03-25-2006, 05:38 AM

Default Gobbling/Strutting Already??

Well it looks like another turkey season goning to roost early here in Missouri. Our season doesn't start until AFTER Easter and the Tom's are already gobbling and strutting. To top it all off we have people out there trying out their calls to see if they can call them in.. It is going to be hard to call them in if they keep that up. They sure are going to be CALL SHY by the time season gets here.[:@] I haven't went turkey hunting yet but I have been calling for the hubby. Looks like my owrk will be cut out for me again this year... The weather here hasn't helped much either!!!!
Old 03-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gobbling/Strutting Already??

I live up in northern iowa and on the nice clear mornings the birds have been gobbling. The toms have been fighting some too. I'm not to worried. I wouldn't be if I was you either. Now the part about people out trying to call them in, that would upset me if it was on the land I was gonna hunt. Are you hunting public or private? Well sorry to hear it may be a tough season for you but good luck. The tough birds to kill are the ones that make you a better hunter though. You can always think of it that way. The glass is half full.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hence my signature
Old 03-25-2006, 11:37 AM

I thought they ought to start gobbling and strutting now. It almost makes me want to be 15 again so I can hunt during the youth portion. Missouri birds are smart I learned that last season. Public land will definetly make a turkey hunter out of you.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

its like that every year in most states.....the weather has pretty much nothing on what the birds do.......its the day legnth that heat them up....most seasons are PAST their peak breeding season...that way were not out there taking birds of hens that REALLY need breed.....and disrupting them....ive found nest during the first days of the season...tell me that hen wasnt breed early!.....they been gobbling and strutting here too......not worried about it.......its natural....and doesnt effect our hunting........and will NOT make them call shy.....if anything.....they get used to going to a hen call and BREEDING so they will be eager to come.....what makes them call shy is hunters...call them in and get busted....the birds dont see a REAL hen......or get shot at......thats what makes them call shy..both before and during the season.....ive called in birds weeks after our season endedjust for kicks...(yes thatd be june!) good luck.......its not uncommon to see...actually if you DONT see it before the season hunting will probably be harder....they are breeding REAL hens that are ready and willing...decoys and the best calling cant make up for that lol
Old 03-25-2006, 11:58 AM

The turks have been strutting, gobbling, and itching my bow finger for 6 weeks now. 4 more days for me, and watch out. It will be a quick season out here in Cali.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:18 PM

Yeah!...it's tough here in new york too....the gobblers are already strutting...havent heard any gobbling tho. Even tho, i think the seasons real close to being dead on when our season come in. Not sure if the other new york hunters feel the same but with all the snow finally melting off we havent gotten any sort of ground cover even showing green...the hens wont start nesting till then. Havent heard them gobbling and thats good for us cause our season doesnt start till may first...still a long way off.
As far as calling prior to season...i'm not so sure that turkeys become call shy....i was once told by an old turkey hunter that turkeys were the 'smartest dumb bird'he's ever know. Idont like to bring them in with calls but will make my scouting efforts to find out where they travel, where they spend most of their time, where their roosting and strutting areas are. I would hate to sit down at the base of a tree in march and hear a hunter calling to draw turkeys to him, thats just defeating the purpose of early season scouting. But to each his or her own.

btw: i have so many turkey hunting thoughts running around in my head....i get too carried away, not to mention i might be so far 'right-wing' from the rest of these guys as far as the ideas if turkey hunting...but the ideas i take afield work the best for me...i'm never regretting my choices.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:29 PM

The birds in my part of Missouri started gobbling around 2 weeks ago. I've seen them strut as early as late February. Conservation Dept. says that 80% of the breeding takes place the first 2 weeks of April. I for one think season is always late, and this year is even later. Just gonna have to get in front of them this year. The ole ambush, if you will.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:04 PM

This down time is killin me. I just want season to be here. I've been scouting hard core but it drives me nuts when im watching birds and can't set up on them or call at them. Only 12 more days and it's here though.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:21 AM

Gobblers Gobbling and Strutting in Colorado! Cant wait tell the season opens.

Quick Reply: Gobbling/Strutting Already??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.