Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

TEAM FOUR

Old 04-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: TEAM FOUR

I guess the logo photofor for team won't work. Looks as if the site admins block members from using signatures!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah,that's been an on going problem.I gave up on my sig..
Old 04-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, it looks like Dog1 broke the ice for Team 4 w/ a bird on the official submission thread. We are on the board.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:18 PM

Congrats Dog1!

1 week to go for me. Man I can't wait!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Season doesn't start here until 4/24.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

I got one today.I've already entered it.He didn't score much,but hopefully I can upgrade later.

I worked this bird for 1 hour and 50 minutes.He first gobbled at my cutting at 9am about 250yds away.I sat down,and waited 15 minutes.I cutt again on my Primos Box cutter,and he gobbled back.He had moved about 75yds closer.I cutt again then I yelped a few times,and shut up for another 15 minutes.At 9:30 I yelped real softly and hegobbled about 100yds away.I cutt to him again,and layed the call down.AT 9:45 I yelped softly again and hehammered it about60yds away.I got my gun up...but he never showed.Then around 10 minutes later I yelped,and he was going to my left.Then I heard a hen,she started clucking,and yelping.He was going to her.

I decided to do something I have never done before.I switched over to my new call(Dad's custom glass),and I started clucking,and purring,and yelping,louder and longer than her.He liked it.I don't usually get that agressive.He started coming back to me.She quit calling,but she had went to him.He stopped responding.I moved 15 yds closer,and at 10:30 I yelped a few times..no response.10:35 I was standing up to leave,because I had somewhere to be.I knew for sure the hen had stolen my gobbler,or I had been busted taking my chance on moving in closer..

When I stood up I saw the hen coming to me,evidently she was coming to see who wanted her boyfriend.I think she saw me,but she just eased off.I could see the tom strutting behind her.He was about 35 yds,but it was too thick to shoot.He followed her away,and I just kept an eye on him.I saw her leave him.I started sweet talking.He started strutting right to me!I was on my knees,and was hiding behind an oak tree calling to him.He was definately in range,so I eased my gun up when he went behind a tree.He was coming fast now.I had a shot about 23yds,but he moved.I was having to aim straight out in front of me b/c I couldn't turn.I had no prop,and believe me the gun was getting heavy.I didn't even have time to get my gloves back on.

He kept staying behind trees,and popped out about 20 yds,he was walking straight to me.I kept my tru glo sights on his waddles,he saw me and he stuck his head up,and I shot..down he went.17 steps.I was shaking so bad when I shot I thought I was going to miss him.That was one of the longest hunts I've had with a bird,and he wasn't even all that big.

16 1/2 lbs,8 1/16" beard,7/8" spurs.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:54 PM

Congrats! That's a nice bird.

Good story too. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:55 PM

Congrats! That's a nice bird.

Good story too. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Way to go on a great hunt and an awesome gobbler Two weeks and a day for me and I'll be out there thump'in good one I hope!
Old 04-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Nice bird RH!

Quick Reply: TEAM FOUR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.