Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Thumbhole: Remington or Mossberg

Old 03-08-2006, 07:08 PM

Default Thumbhole: Remington or Mossberg

I'm planning on getting a new turkey gun and I like the looks of the new thumbholes. I just wanted some feedback on them both before i made my decision. I know the Mossberg has a 20 in barrel. Is that too short?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thumbhole: Remington or Mossberg

a 20" barrel shouldn't be too short. my 870 has a 21 incher. it throws pretty dang good patterns out to 30 yards with a standard remington choke. i haven't tried it any further.

anyhow i would personally choose the 870, but of course i'm a bit partial to the 870's. i've never cared much for mossbergs, but that's just me of course.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

One problem with the thumbholes - you can't easliy shoot lefthanded (assuming you are using a righthanded thumbhole gun). I think I've shot 4 turkeys lefthanded with my 870. You can never predict which way the gobbler decides to go. Just a thought for consideration.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

no not to short but go with the remington

Old 03-09-2006, 12:41 PM

I have both 870 and Moss. 835, I use the mossy for turkey and the 870 for ducks. Both work great. Just shoulder some guns at the store and see which one feels better. 20 in barrel should do just fine. Whoever mentioned the point about shooting left handed...good point, I never thought about that before.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:44 PM

I don't have a thumbhole, but I stand by my mossberg anyday for turkey hunting. I have a 24" barrel that can be used for both turkey and waterfowl.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:06 PM

I remember reading an article not too long ago that said shotguns aren't really well made for things like shooting turkeys or as slug guns for deer, because the "drop" (?) is not like a rifle's, it's like . . .a shotgun. (Duhhh.)

The point being a shotgun shooter doesn't put his eye/cheek/face in the same place as a rifle shooter.

So I'd think those thumbhole stocks might be okay, IF the stock makes the shotgun more "rifle-like."

As far as Mossberg vs. Remington, I like my Mossberg 935, a lot. It has a short turkey barrel, and I like that a lot, too, because you can maneuver it well.(quick handling.)In fact, I like it so much I've taken to using it, with the short barrel, for ducks, geese, and pheasants as well as turkeys, and I think I generally am more accurate with it than Iam with a shotgun that has a 26" or 28" barrel like my Benelli SBE. Its a quicker swing, and the overbored (10 gauge inside diameter) barrel and choke tubes make it throw an effective pattern, even at distance. (Biggest trouble isit only shoots 3 & 3 1/2 inch shells, but since I mostly shoot steel at pheasants, 3" steel works fine.) I carried a 32" full choke 12 gauge when I started hunting, for about 18 years, before I weaned back to 28", then 26" and now my short Mossberg!!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:06 PM

Mouthcaller that is a good point about being able to shoot left handed, because it seems alot of the time a turkey comes up on the wrong side. How do you aim with the gun on your left shoulder and being right Eye dominant? Do you shoot looking down the rib with your left eye and leave both eyes open? Either way I'm going to go this weekeng and shoot some bird shot and see how far off I am shooting left handed. I don't feel like breaking my left shoulder, nose or whatever I might hit shooting 3 1/2's out of my mosberg because they kick a little!!!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Killmeatm,

I am left eye dominant but naturally shoot right-handed, so I learned at an early age to shut my dominant left eye. It isn't a big deal really. Shooting left-handed for me is easy.

Look at the turkey with both eyes to judge range then, in your case,shut you dominant right eye to take aim when shooting left-handed. You can't do it with both eyes open unless your dominant eye is looking straight down the barrel - you will miss right every time.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:57 PM

I have the mossberg 835 with thumbhole stock and 20" barrel and im here to tell ya i love this thing.I always have used remington 870 and 1100 and thought i would try the 835 this year i never really liked mossbergs either but im telling ya you wont be disappointed.Im trying to pattern mine right now and im pretty well satisfied with the #5 federals w/flightcontrol wad 3 1/2 inch.Im making kill shots at 55 yards with them not that i want to shoot one that far but just good knowing that my gun will reach out there if i need it to thats all.But anyway hope this helps ya out some on making your choice both are good guns im sure

HOPE TO SEE YA IN THE WOODS")