Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why the long barrel??

Old 02-15-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Why the long barrel??

I undestand the advantages of having a short barrel for spring turkey. A short barrel is easier to maneuver and less conspicuous, but why are upland and waterfowl barrels so long? I read that barrel length doesn't affect patterning so is it accuracy?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why the long barrel??

a longer site plane for wingshooting...something like that...lol

alot of people will beg to differ that barrel legnth effects patterns...some will say that a longer barrel throws a more nicely dense pattern then a shorter barrel...im with you though...i tote a 21 inch barrel on my turkey thumper.....if my patterns were anymore dense id be better off with a slug!...longer barrels however do increse velocity...i think its 10-12fps per inch...but after 26 or 28inches it doesnt make a diffrence i believe i read...i do like a longer barrel for my wing shooting...28or so...but someguys like 30+...i carried a 28 turkey hunting for a while...ill never look back to a long barrel for turkey hunting...to long...to heavy....my gun now weighs next to nothing....only gun i have i can sling and not have to take off to walk through the woods because it hits branches ect!!
Old 02-15-2006, 02:22 PM

I also agree that it doesn't make any difference in pattern. Like stated, it does make a difference in velocity b/c it takes a certain length for all of the powder to burn.

Personaly, I do not like shooting anything under a 26'' for wingshooting b/c of the nosie. The shoter the barrel, the louder it is. Take a 22'' out on the dove field w/o ear plugs and you will see what I mean.

Now for turkeys, I like the 24''. Long enough to burn the powder, but short enough that it doesn't catch limbs while its on your back and swings a lot easier.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 28" because that came with the gun, but maybe some day I will get a shorter one! [8D]
Old 02-15-2006, 11:06 PM

i like a 26in that way i can turkey hunt and upland game hunt!!
Old 02-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to disagree... I say the longer barrel dose pattern better... I get my best patterns out of a 26" barrel... But I do like a shortrer barrel for turkey hunting... I'll sacrifice the few less pellets in my pattern for the easier handeling of the short barrel in the turkey woods
Old 02-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow Mr Longbeard Now we agree on something for a change [8D] Now, Man thats getting scary You and me this maybe a change for Hunting net ...BT
Old 02-17-2006, 04:59 PM

before all the screw in chockes and so call ("turkey guns") the old saying was longer the barrell the better the pattern and the harder hitting.

no days with all the new tech. we have it shows you can get a good pattern with a 26"er.

my dad always said "nothing less than 30" full choke.my turkey gun is a BPS 12 ga. 3" mag with a 30" barrell.thats because that what it came with 30 years ago.a screw in choke was almost unheard of back then.

something to think about anyway.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

BT
Old 02-18-2006, 10:05 AM

I used long barrels..mostly the Ole Long Tom they called them..32" full choke...many yrs. ago when we thought you had to have a long barrel to get good patterns for turkey hunting. When the first Winchester 1300 NWTF Turkey Model gun came out with short barrel I bought one and have been using 24" and shorter ever since...until last yr.when I switched to flintlock shotgun and now I'm back to 36" barrel.

Quick Reply: Why the long barrel??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.