Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

interesting ? about turkey responses...always a gobble?

Old 02-06-2006, 06:33 PM

Default interesting ? about turkey responses...always a gobble?

hello.
my question is...when you are hunting and make a call (yelp, purr, whatever) is the response from the turkey always going to be a GOBBLE. are there any other sounds that a turkey will make? so should i always be listening for that gobble? or can another sound represent a turkey present.last year i continued to hearwhat i thought was a turkey, but i dont think it was a gobble (im pretty sure it wasnt). could it have stillbeen a turkey? or is gobbling the only sound they make. I just want to know exactly what to listen for. Also,do hens respond to your calling sometime as well?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:38 PM

Default RE: interesting ? about turkey responses...always a gobble?

usually just the gobbler gobblin, but a hen will call back and fuss at your calling, she's probably the dominant hen in the area. i've had her respond and come to with about 10 feet, fussing up a storm, ready to fight. hen turkeys also make the kee kee sound, not as often though, hope this helps, good luck and hunt safe
Old 02-06-2006, 07:45 PM

There is no 'for sure" rules in turkey hunting but 99% of the time, if you get a vocal respose from a springtime mature gobbler it will be a gobble. I've had jakes yelp back before but never a a mature bird. Gobblers will cluck and purr also, butif you hear a turkey clucking and purring you should be able to see it as well. The only other frequent gobbler vocalization would be spitting and drumming, if you hear this, likely a mature bird is 100 yards or less and you better be ready. He will be strutting when he isspitting and drumming.

Many timesyou will hunt and hear birds gobble on the roost and then after they fly down they will shut up. Likely, this meansthey have hens with them. You may call and only the hens respond. In this situation youralmost better off calling to the hens because not many gobblers will leave hens to come to calling. Although ifyoucall to the hens and get them to come investigate, they bring the gobbler(s) with them.

Another hint is that if you are calling to a bird and have him gobbling good but then he stops, itmeans usually 1 of 2 things:A) Hens have come to his gobbling so he has stopped B) You better be ready because he is headed your way...

It took me several years to learn that to kill turkeys,there is no need to be the loudest, most aggresive caller in the woods. You will start killing turkeys when you become a hen. Call just like you hear the hens calling. Different situations call for different modes of calling butif you sound like a hen, you will kill plenty of turkeys.

Good luck---
Old 02-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wholelottagobble

There is no 'for sure" rules in turkey hunting but 99% of the time, if you get a vocal respose from a springtime mature gobbler it will be a gobble. I've had jakes yelp back before but never a a mature bird. Gobblers will cluck and purr also, butif you hear a turkey clucking and purring you should be able to see it as well. The only other frequent gobbler vocalization would be spitting and drumming, if you hear this, likely a mature bird is 100 yards or less and you better be ready. He will be strutting when he isspitting and drumming.

Many timesyou will hunt and hear birds gobble on the roost and then after they fly down they will shut up. Likely, this meansthey have hens with them. You may call and only the hens respond. In this situation youralmost better off calling to the hens because not many gobblers will leave hens to come to calling. Although ifyoucall to the hens and get them to come investigate, they bring the gobbler(s) with them.

Another hint is that if you are calling to a bird and have him gobbling good but then he stops, itmeans usually 1 of 2 things:A) Hens have come to his gobbling so he has stopped B) You better be ready because he is headed your way...

It took me several years to learn that to kill turkeys,there is no need to be the loudest, most aggresive caller in the woods. You will start killing turkeys when you become a hen. Call just like you hear the hens calling. Different situations call for different modes of calling butif you sound like a hen, you will kill plenty of turkeys.

Good luck---
DEAD ON!!I waill also add the jake yelps sound weird.One time while calling,I had some jakes yelping to me,and the gobbler was gobbling.I could see them all.They were inthe samegroup,and the tom was running them off.Very loud,raspy,coarse,and squeaky sound.YAAP YAAP YAAP,usually only 3 times or so.If it sounds un-natural it is probably a jake,or a bad calling hunter..
Old 02-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

they may respond by coming in silent listen for the scratching or walking in the leaves