Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Benelli Choke Tube

Old 01-27-2006, 10:54 PM

Default Benelli Choke Tube

I bought a Benelli Nova a couple years back for turkey hunting and have kinda had bad luck with it. This year I am planning on changing choke tubes. Right now I have a Pure Gold .670 in it. I am thinking about getting a Jellyhead and switching to Hevi-Load. I am also thinkin of getting a cheap scope to put on it. Does anyone else prefer a scope? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Spike

Default RE: Benelli Choke Tube

I have the exact same gun w/ a 24" barrell....i'd also be interested to see what others are using for load/choke recomendations.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Fork Horn

I am using a Comp-n-Choke .665" and 3.5 Win Extended in my
Benellie Super Black Eagle. And for a good scope you should check
out the Simmons Pro Diamond, it sells for about $90.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:46 PM

i shot a nice fall gobbler 3 weeks ago with my nova. i have a Tight Wad choke made by primos. costs around $20. used a 3 1/2" federal mag shok #6. shot was 44 paces! longest shot i've ever put on a gobbler and it pasted him. i've patterned it out to 50 yards and looked pretty good. hope that helps.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Something that you need to know about the Nova is that they do not do any Forcing cone work on the this gun it is very short. If you plan on putting a scope on the gun , you'll have to think about what kind of mount you are going to put on the gun. They do make a Sadle mount for the Nova, but If you only use this gun for Turkey then you may want to think about a B style mount. The Nova has a very thin reciever and it should be drilled and tapped with care. Just do not over tighten the mount screws and you will be fine. There is a layer of Plastic cover over the thin metal wall of the reciever , so when it is drilled , it kind throws you off for the first little bit untill you hit the metal.

The Nova can make a great turkey gun , but it needs a Ton of work to become a great turkey gun. I've did everything from the Forcing cone to trigger work and had a custom turkey choke made and now I have a 20 gauge that shoots like the 12...BT
Old 02-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Dev

I've got a Kick's Gobblin' Thunder choke and it is amazing. I traded my old SBE for a new one and now the Kick's won't work in it. If anyone is interested in it PM me. I'm looking for a Kick's that'll work in the new SBE II. I also shoot 3.5" 5's. Winchester Supreme Hi-Velocity. Can't beat em'. I out shot the new Down Range stuff with this combo.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:48 PM

Rhino choke, nitro shells amazing!!!! go to nitros sight for the choke size and shells for yor gun they have it down.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:43 PM

AH is right, the Nova is a "good" gun, but hardly what I would call a GREAT gun as it comes from the factory. "Nitro Ray" isn't a big fan of actually lengthening forcing cones as much as he prefers to polish them. Call him and ask him for his preferance. When I toured his place season before last we all asked about our guns but no one was shooting a Nova so I never heard his personal recommendations. As for the receiver, yes it is composite so I personally wouldn't tap it. I would recommend a saddle mount or even a rib mount with a red dot for either. I like TruGlo dots simply because they actually build about 95% of the red dots on the market, even for other "makers" who then put their names on them.

Good luck,
RA

ps
And I DOUBLE DITTO the Rhino/Nitro recommendation for ANY gun!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:19 PM

The pure gold choke tube is a great one. But change is always good. You should try em' all and look at all the patterns. Compare all your targets you shoot at. Then go from there. As for the scope..like ive told others on here..im not a big fan of them. It takes away the fun. Sure, you can see the turkey easier, but the purpose of the hunt is callin the bird into close range and using that bead or trueglo on the shotgun. A shotgun, in my opinion, should not have a scope on it, period. It takes more skill to use just the bead or the truglo sights.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:03 PM

I'm shooting the benelli nova with an Undertaker choke tube. I'm shooting #2's copperplated shot and at 40 yds. i patterned 40 pellets in the head and neck region.